Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following the Redding thread (I assume this is field archery??)and didn't want to hi-jack that thread but I wondered how this type of archery works? Do you shoot numerous arrows at each target....how do you score.....how many targets? I am just curious about the whole genre as I would like to do it sometime if I could ever find a place somewhat close to me. Also....does anyone shoot fixed pins or hunting type setups???? If so do you shoot different stakes? Sorry about all the questions but I am ignorant to all of this.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I have been following the Redding thread (I assume this is field archery??)and didn't want to hi-jack that thread but I wondered how this type of archery works? Do you shoot numerous arrows at each target....how do you score.....how many targets? I am just curious about the whole genre as I would like to do it sometime if I could ever find a place somewhat close to me. Also....does anyone shoot fixed pins or hunting type setups???? If so do you shoot different stakes? Sorry about all the questions but I am ignorant to all of this.
Where in Ky are you? We will find you a field range to try...the NFAA SE sectional tournament is being held Memorial day weekend at Chickasaw archers in Shepardsville...

Redding is a whole different game (marked 3-d)...they're only similiar in that there is a dot, and the yardage is marked...

A full Field archery round consists of 2 14 target units (or 1 unit shot 2x). You shoot 4 arrows scored 5,4,3 at each target. Each unit has pre-defined shots from 20 feet out to 80 yards at different size targets (20 cm, 35, cm, 50 cm, or 65 cm). Ranges are typically laid out much like a 3-d course through the woods...in all a full round consists of 112 arrows shot for a maximum score of 560...

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
I'm the same boat as -bowfreak- I dont know anything about field archery but it looks like a blast to me and I think I'd really enjoy shooting it...Never had the chance when I lived in KY to try it and now that I live in Iowa I dont have the chance either "that I know of". But we have big whitetails in IA so it's ok, lol.
Oh and Redding looks like the bomb, I'd love to shoot that course.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where in Ky are you? We will find you a field range to try...the NFAA SE sectional tournament is being held Memorial day weekend at Chickasaw archers in Shepardsville...

Redding is a whole different game (marked 3-d)...they're only similiar in that there is a dot, and the yardage is marked...

A full Field archery round consists of 2 14 target units (or 1 unit shot 2x). You shoot 4 arrows scored 5,4,3 at each target. Each unit has pre-defined shots from 20 feet out to 80 yards at different size targets (20 cm, 35, cm, 50 cm, or 65 cm). Ranges are typically laid out much like a 3-d course through the woods...in all a full round consists of 112 arrows shot for a maximum score of 560...
NE KY.

O.k. So all 4 arrows score......when you say predefined shots will these shots be the same from course to course. Meaning course A will have an 80 yard shot and so will course B?

What about equipment?

·
Independent Joe
5,224 Posts
Redding is 70 targets over 3 days. 25/25/20. Yardages from 4- 101 yards all marked. 2 arrows per target scoring is 11 for the orange dot, 10 ring and 8 for the rest of the animal. Best possible score is 1540.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
NE KY.

O.k. So all 4 arrows score......when you say predefined shots will these shots be the same from course to course. Meaning course A will have an 80 yard shot and so will course B?

What about equipment?
That is exactly what I mean each course across the country has exactly the same shots for the field and hunter rounds...that way you can compare your score at say Yadkinville archers to your score at DCWC and know the only thing different was the terrain...plus you know what shots to learn to make ahead of time (except for the uphill/downhill/sidehill/into a black hole/ into the sun) aspect which will be different from course to course...

As for equipment there are a bunch of rules that separate shooters into different classes, but the only rule every class really needs to follow is 300 fps max...Even then, if you're just showing up to try the game and your bow is shooting faster than that, I doubt very much you'll be turned away...

Does any of that make sense...

·
aka "5 Spot"
9,756 Posts
NE KY.

What about equipment?
Distances and targets sizes for each distance are pre-defined. The order they are shot in is NOT.

Equipment? - shoot what you bring - the NFAA has a class for practically everything considered a "stick & string".

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I'm the same boat as -bowfreak- I dont know anything about field archery but it looks like a blast to me and I think I'd really enjoy shooting it...Never had the chance when I lived in KY to try it and now that I live in Iowa I dont have the chance either "that I know of". But we have big whitetails in IA so it's ok, lol.
Oh and Redding looks like the bomb, I'd love to shoot that course.
Here is a link to your state association from the NFAA website:
http://www.iowastatearchery.com/

Its up to you from here, but try it out...I almost guarantee you'll like it...

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like a lot of fun. I will be shooting open class next year IBO (Currently shoot BHR or AH). I think that may work a little better shooting 100 yards or so......dial pin vs. pins. Looks fun.....hopefully I can try it one of these days.

·
Registered
397 Posts
But make no mistake the Straight Arrow Bowhunters Club of Redding is DEDICATED to Field Archery as stated on their mission statement sign when you pull into the range
The Club is known for its epic marked 3-D shoot it puts on :) and the marked 3-D is the game that is played by most of the clubs around this part of the state when they host a shoot. Their ranges are predominatly Field Ranges any other day.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Bowfreak,

We have a great course up in Wilmington, Ohio at www.ccfsa.com Depending on where you are in Ky, you could be close? KyHammer will be coming up to shoot a field with us this year, maybe you two could ride together?

Jeremiah

1 - 11 of 11 Posts