Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for GRIV

What would be a good setup for shooting field rounds.
I shot my first field round yesterday at the WV State Championship, I used My 3d Set up shot an 821 but I dont know if a 3d Set up is right for that kind of shooting.
PLEASE HELP!

Thanks

·
Registered
617 Posts
If you want to shoot that many arrows with a 3-D bow and can shoot it, do it! But having shot many of both, I use one bow for 3-D and a different rig altogether for field. The field bow is generally longer and lower poundage usually in the 50-55# range. Your arrows should also be of a smaller diameter than you probably shoot 3-D with. Most of the folks I shoot field with will be shooting nothing larger than an ACC 3-28. THis is because you are shooting so many shots into the same dot and the chance of ruining one is less with a smaller arrow. And sometimes with as many as 4 or 5 shooters shooting 4 arrows at the same dot it can get crowded in the target. But if shooting a 3-D rig is comfortable to you and you shoot it well, but I would still drop the poundage and arrow size. We had a fellow shooting 2213's at our last shoot and he had 4 arrows ruined. But again it's your choice. The larger arrow can also cause you to knock yourself out of the dot sometimes because you will no doubt be slamming your own arrows too. Hope that this info will help with whatever you decide on. Good shooting.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Grumps is right on. I will add that many shooters will shoot a larger arrow in the animal round, you don't shoot as many arrows and there is not a dot to aim at.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Field Archery

Grumps

That is what happened to me yesterday, I use 2112 arrows with my 3D bow I had 2 to kick out and It cost me 2nd place, I ruined 4 arrows in all.

I am shooting a Cougar III on 60# I was pretty tired at the end of the day after shooting 126 arrows not including worming up at the practice bails before the shoot. But the main thing is that I had a lot of fun.

I just orderd a Cougar III with 50# limbs for shooting indoors and will probably shoot it outside as well, I will be using acc arrows next year in field rounds.

Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We did not have the extra dot in the animals at our state shoot, we just counted the kill as 20.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Frequently even with the smaller arrows you will still slam them together and bump yourself out. Especially if you are a good steady shooter, but thats gonna happen. You may get full grown robinhooded arrows sometimes. Just take extra nocks and arrows with you. Its all good!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts