Archery Talk Forum banner

Field Arrows

842 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  boojo35
Has anyone tried the Ultralites from Goldtip for Field? I know there not the smallest diameter (.246 i.d.) but am looking at building some field arrows and am weighing every option.
Also.....is a lighter arrow more susceptible to wind drift then a heavier arrow? I just want to find a good balance between the 2.
(Note: Don't really want to spend $200 + for Navigators or X10's but am looking for a good field arrow)
Specs:
Pro Elite Cam & 1/2's
28" DL
54lbs DW
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4,587 Posts
Has anyone tried the Ultralites from Goldtip for Field? I know there not the smallest diameter (.246 i.d.) but am looking at building some field arrows and am weighing every option.
Also.....is a lighter arrow more susceptible to wind drift then a heavier arrow? I just want to find a good balance between the 2.
(Note: Don't really want to spend $200 + for Navigators or X10's but am looking for a good field arrow)
Specs:
Pro Elite Cam & 1/2's
28" DL
54lbs DW
If you already have them, then they will shoot fine. If you are looking to buy arrows, then I would probably migrate towards the ACC shafts. I had been doing a lot of research about what shafts to buy because I wanted to get a Field shaft this year (shot with Fatboys last year). I was gonna get ACC until a SWWEEEEEEETTTT deal on some Nano's fell into my lap:rolleyes:

· Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you already have them, then they will shoot fine. If you are looking to buy arrows, then I would probably migrate towards the ACC shafts. I had been doing a lot of research about what shafts to buy because I wanted to get a Field shaft this year (shot with Fatboys last year). I was gonna get ACC until a SWWEEEEEEETTTT deal on some Nano's fell into my lap:rolleyes:
I decided on the ACC's.......Should be here in 2 weeks and we'll see how they fly! Thanks!!

· Team #9
9,742 Posts
I shoot Ultralight pro 400 GT for field....was thinking about ACC but there
heavy compaired....so I am thinking ACE or maybe some Nano pros or I will
just keep using my Ultralights pros.....I am only shooting like 525-540..
wanting to know are Nanos all that?? I might be able to get a sweet deal
on them...or what about the ACE`s??? thanks for your time

bigbucks170

· Registered
3,131 Posts
I shoot Ultralight pro 400 GT for field....was thinking about ACC but there
heavy compaired....so I am thinking ACE or maybe some Nano pros or I will
just keep using my Ultralights pros.....I am only shooting like 525-540..
wanting to know are Nanos all that?? I might be able to get a sweet deal
on them...or what about the ACE`s??? thanks for your time

bigbucks170
525 to 540 is some pretty good shooting. Many people never make it to that level. I have acc 3-04's and 3-18's which are tiny shafts. I also have ultralite's and ultralite pro's. I have used them all on the field course and also shoot them a lot on our range at up to 65 yards. The range is significant because it is in the open and very commonly has a cross wind. I am able to shoot the same scores with any of the above arrows so I really think the arrow issue is overrated. I know that a strong wind would tend to give more of an advantage to the smaller shafts but I dont believe that a ultralite is a big disadvatage. Fat shafts on the other hand will really drift outdoors so stay away from them. I make sure that I run small fletchings in the 1.5 to 1.75" area. I just started shooting field and generally shoot in the 530's and peak out at 540 ish so we are on a pretty level playing field. I have found that I either am on or I am not and it doesnt seem specific to which bow or arrows I am shooting that day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.