Archery Talk Forum banner

Field dressing animals.......

1025 27
In your opinion, what is the best and easiest way to field dress an animal??
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Back down to ground level
18,528 Posts
Not sure what your asking, but I take my time and do it in the field where it dropped. Makes the drag easier. I don't mess with the piss sack at all since I just d'bone the meat when I get it back home. No need to risk spilling that on the meat. If you need to remove it, do it with plenty of water nearby to rinse the meat, just in case.

· Feedn The Geese
12,838 Posts
couple other things... if you use water, dry it immediately or you encourage bacteria growth

if you ever let a deer lay over night thats gut shot the inner tenderloins ARE tainted

dont split the pelvis in the field, this allows dirt to enter easier. tie off one the bladder from the bung hole with two twist ties or pieces of string and cut between the two. take the bung out later at home.

· Registered
164 Posts
95% of the time I bring elk, moose, deer home whole. If they are in the bush I draggem to at least the field edge with the quad. I will pick them up with the tractor either a pallet and forks or throw them in the bucket and bring them home. I skin out the back legs and hang the animal from the forks or bucket just like we do beef. Skin, gut and split. We have an electric meat saw so it goes pretty slick. I drive the tractor up by the water hydrant and wash the meat off then drive the animal over to the truck box which I line with plastic. Lower the loader as I back up and there you have it. Yes I know I am spoiled with the tractor but it sure keeps the meat clean and splitting it makes it cool super well.

· Registered
25,350 Posts
i dress it where it goes down. cut it open, saw the pelvic bone, then flip the deer over and pick up on the back legs, pull it all out, cut he diaphram, wind pipe and pull the lungs, heart ect.. out. doesnt take very long

· Registered
3,316 Posts
If you do it right, you don't have to cut pelvic bones, tie off anything, or spill any piss, and the bung hole comes right out. All in one quick neat job. Everything is left in the field, unless you don't want to taint up a stand site.

· Registered
30,532 Posts
I use a Marbles or Buck Zipper guthook knife for whitetails and it works great for me. After tagging, I make an initial cut right at the solar plexus (tip of rib cage) and then used the guthook to cut the hide down to the bung hole. Then I follow the same cut with the guthook again, but cutting through the fat and muscle layer that holds the guts in place. When I get down to the bung, I cut around it and use my knife blade or small saw to cut the pelvis. From there I cut up along the sterum to the base of the throat to open up the chest cavity, cut the windpipe and around the diaphragm. Grasping the cut windpipe, I tug the whole innards from neck to anus out in one complete unit and dump them out of the way. Michigan has dealt with bovine TB in the northern lower peninsula and a case of CWD in my home area, so I always wear rubber gloves and keep a zip lock to put anything bloody for trash. If we can get the Jeep close, we drag to the best location and haul it home for a quick rinse with the garden hose before taking to the processor.

· Registered
1,110 Posts
gutless method is ware you just quorter the animal . every elk iv ever killed has been done this way once the 1/4 are off i get the loyns i love heart so i just go through the ribs for that never gutted an elk deer are easy to drag so i gut them .gutless is fast to i did my bull last year by myselfe in bout 2 hr hung and 1.5 boned so to me thats not bad .

· Registered
3,291 Posts
Unless you want to take the deer or elk back to camp for pictures just clean a quarter on the spot. A deer can be striped of all their meat in less than 30 mins. I put all the meat in a rubber pack lined with a plastic bag. No Saws, No Axes, No piss sack and no problems.

· Registered
2,768 Posts
If you do it right, you don't have to cut pelvic bones, tie off anything, or spill any piss, and the bung hole comes right out. All in one quick neat job. Everything is left in the field, unless you don't want to taint up a stand site.
pretty much.

I dont like to gut where it drops, simply because it will cause coyotes and bob cats and whatever else to start lurking around spooking the deer. Its simple enough to just load it in a sled and drag it to the vehicle. I personally start by removing the tarsal glads. first and foremost. then if I want to mount the deer I will start where the ribs meet at the sternum and cut through the hide, and fatty membrain towards the anus. I dont split the pelvis. then I cut a circle around the anus. once I free the organs and guts I pull it all out in one motion. I have never got pee, or poop on any meat.

· Registered
2,496 Posts
I make a cut starting from just above his peener (lol) up to his ribs. Cut through the membrane but be careful not to cut into the guts. Cut through the diaphragm, and give the whole pile of guts a little tug every so often. Wherever its attached to the skin, reach up in his chest and make cuts. Be careful if your broadhead is still in the deer. You're going to need to cut a circle around his anus (the Butt Out thing actually works decent to hold the skin tight for easy cutting..otherwise that area is kinda squishy and hard to cut around). Then once you've cut everything that's holding the guts in, they just fall out. We always keep an ice cream bucket full of water in the back of the truck to rinse the body cavity of excess blood. There might be an easier way, but this is what I did this year. I've never gutted an animal and I did just fine with it. I didn't get any poop or pee or anything on the meat.

· Registered
3,694 Posts
This is the way I do it! But I do it while they are hanging head down in my garage and yes the key word for this to work is to do it right lol!. I never field dress anything I load it on the 4 wheeler head it to the pickup and do the dirty job in the lights of my garage.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Where the animal drops is where the chop shop begins. On its back on the ground, slice the skin from pelvic end to head. Slice skin around ankles. Cut diaphram, crack pelvic bone, cut around anal area and pull all the innards out toward the anal end and onto the ground. Off with the head, off with the feet, off with the skin. Quarter legs, remove back straps, keep ribs if get enough meat. Pack it out, debone at home.
Simple as pie!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.