Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Set the situtation before question. Shooting hunter round last Sunday and came to the 36 yard fan. 2 targets on the butt, refered to as target 1 and target 2. Three of us in the group, I was on the second stake and shot my first arrow at the first target, then moved to the 3rd stake and not paying attention shot the first target again. Then moved to the 4th stake and shot the second target, then back to the first stake and shot the 1st target again. When scoring, got a "0" scored because I had 3 arrows in the first target. All 4 of my arrows was in the "X" so my score was recorded as a 3X 15 instead of a 4X 20. Was this the correct way to score this?

The rule book that I checked later (NFAA Constitution and By-Laws June 2000 to May 2001) says on a fan shoot one arrow from each stake, I can find nothing that says they have to be at a different target. This is not a complaint, the score I ended up with was a 546 and the highest I've ever shot. Just curious about the rules. Sorry this is so long, and thanks for answering.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have always Shoot it 2 at each target Just so the angel of the arrows you would not damage arrows.
However I don’t believe you should have been panelized for shooting 3 into one target. I believe the
Seconded target is a curtsey target. As a mater of fact I don’t believe at the nationals there will be 2 targets.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Need more than Angels

Yes the 3x 15 is correct! When two targets are present (Option) then you must shoot the two arrows from the left into the left target and the two arrows from the right into the right target. Ken

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Here is the rule, when you have 2 faces on the 35, the first two stakes are shot at the left face, the 3&4 th stakes are shot at the right face. if you mix them up , you will lose the arrow. tRhere is a rule in the book which states arrows must be shot in the proper sequence. the extra face was put there just so that you don't damage the arrows. It was this way at Darrington.
Mike

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Yup, you loose the points. I know this from experience in Darrington. I am used to shooting a single target at 35 and they tricked me. LOL. It really sucks but rules are rules.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the answers. I wasn't complaining, just curious. Learned something from it. Now I will start at the stakes that I will shoot two at the same target and do it in order. I didn't dispute the call because that is how I thought it was too, but missed shooting arrowing in order in the rule book. Got the Virginia State Closed Aug. 30 and 31 and am looking forward to it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
NFAA rule book page 44, top of page. I have it highlited for this reason. First two arrows in left target butt last two arrows in right target butt.

Robert

·
Registered
726 Posts
ARTICLE IV
---H. Outdoor Shooting Rules:
-----2.3. Any arrow(s) shot from other than a pre-designated position in the designated order shall be scored as "0"(zero)
-----3.When shooting at butts with multiple target faces, the first 2 shooters will shoot the bottom target faces. When target faces are placed side by side (ie 50cm) the archer on the left will shoot the left target face; the archer on the right will shoot the right target face. On fan positions the same applies, except each archer will shoot two arrows at each target. Any arrow striking the wrong target shall be considered a miss and may not be reshot.

---I. Scoring:
-----10. An archer who shoots arrows at the target in excess of the prescribed number shall lose the arrow or arrows of higher value in all NFAA rounds. A penalty of one point will be assessed for each arrow shot over the prescribed numbers.

I do not see the penalty point taken on many shoots, but the way the rule is worded an archer should lose a point also if they shoot 3 arrows in one target and one in the other, some would argue that the archer shot 4 arrows and this does not pertain to this situation, but if that is so then rule #10 should be reworded in my opinion.

Mike

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Clarification!

Mike that section in 10 is for shooting more than 4 arrows which is the precribed #. Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts