Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just booked a fall ontario bear hunt, and I'm pumped.

I've heard one of the biggest challenges of hunting bears is trying to field judge which bear is big enough. Figured I'd start doing some research now. Any tips for a rookie?

·
Registered
942 Posts
I haven't seen a bear on bait but I went up hunting 4 years ago and the outfitter gave a class on what to look for size wise and where to aim with a rifle and where to kill it with a bow, before anyone went out to their stand.
I'll be going up this fall again also, where are you headed, which outfitter?

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Bears can be hard to judge. A small bear is easy to see as small. A med bear will look big to a rookie and a big bear will be just that BIG.
Look at the way they walk. A big bear kind of walks like a gorilla.... arms swaying out around the chest before they come back in. Look at the head too a big bears head will be blocky and the ears will look small.
Like I said bears can bwe hard to judge. If your on bait you can set up tools to use to judge size. A barrel or a big log is a common tool.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I always look at the ears. If they look tall, kinda like a German Sheppard. I let'em walk. If they look short and stubby, spread apart more, now where talking. That is when I start looking hard and sizing him up. Like someone said above. One of the first things you will notice is the walk from a distance. If it looks as though he is waddling and swinging those legs around, get ready to look him over good. If he looks as though a normal animal walking, then start looking at other things such as his ears or sizing compared to other objects. I have seen some big boys walk normal.

·
Registered
493 Posts
A little trick

Just for some perspective....

This is a slide from a baiting seminar that we do. Depending on where the bear's front shoulders fall into the top white portion of the t-post....will give you a good idea of the squared footage.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts