Archery Talk Forum banner

Field points and broadheads

969 Views 12 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  red44
Do your fly in the same spot?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
651 Posts
They better, or I am doing something wrong. Either mis-matched weights, or mis-alignment. Also check arrow spine if you are shooting big heads. How much feather do you shoot? Helical? Could be a number of things.

· Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's with a compound shooting trad style (zwickey) broadheads....at 224.

Spine match is unknown. That is one of the things we are trying to figure out. They fly fine with feathers, but not with vanes of equal size and helical.

· Grumpy Old Man
26,862 Posts
Is it possible the diff in weight between the vanes and feathers may be causing some type of spine or foc issue? Don't really know, just thinking out loud.......:noidea:

· Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can visually see the arrow go out of line when shot. 3" low profile vanes are all over the place (obviously). 5" helical vanes are about 4-5" right and high at 20 yards. Since (my friends bow) and mine use the exact same arrow, he tried one of mine with 5" helical feathers. Arrow went right down the middle with the field points. But I'd rather correct the flight by tuning first, then fletch up with feathers.

· Registered
11,287 Posts
I can visually see the arrow go out of line when shot. 3" low profile vanes are all over the place (obviously). 5" helical vanes are about 4-5" right and high at 20 yards. Since (my friends bow) and mine use the exact same arrow, he tried one of mine with 5" helical feathers. Arrow went right down the middle with the field points. But I'd rather correct the flight by tuning first, then fletch up with feathers.
This website should help you tune your bow...even if it's a compund.

http://bowmaker.net/index2.htm

Ray ;)

· Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Figured I'd ask in here since I don't know if its possible to make them fly with vanes.....I don't know more than 1 person that has tried it. He made them fly but he couldn't get them sharp.

· Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I meant to say right down the midle with feathers and broadheads.

· Registered
7,101 Posts
First I'd check for contact. The vanes would react stronger than feathers if it was contact. I would'nt surprise me that the smaller vanes would'nt be up to the task, especially with a solid blade vs a vented blade. But you'll only know for sure if you narrow down the variables. I know your an aluminum shooter, just check for contact and orient the heads the same and see how you make out. I can shoot some large dia. vented heads from mine with 2.5" 4 fletched feathers w/out a problem. You said your vanes were hitting higher. I'd look for contact on the bar over the rest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.