Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using a True Spot lens for a while for indoor. I used it a bit outdoor shooting spots as well. Those who choose to use this lens for field shoots, do you also use it on animal rounds or do you change to a dot/pin?

I only shot ONE field tourney last year and I ended up using my scope that I also use for 3D. I'm thinking of going True Spot for everything this coming season but am curious how well that's going to fly on the animals..

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I have a few True Spot lenses. At the moment I do not use them. I found them to be very good in good lighting and because of this, most indoor conditions. However, when I used them for field, I found them to be a handicap for poorly lit, shaded targets. Everyone has there own preferences, but I would expect that well lit animal targets may be ok. I think those in poor lighting will cause you to wish for something else.

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
I know Jay uses a true spot for field, and I think Lisa started using one outdoors last year too.

Shane, sticky and Jesse both use frosted lens wich gives about the same effect of the true spot.

I have to shoot something like that for indoors, I can not shoot a pin indoors to save my life. Most times I just put a circle on my lens, and ignore the rest of it to just focus through the center. I tried that approach last year for field, and hated it. Too many different sized spots I just couldn't do it. For indoors I use a small circle that just fits around the 9 ring or the 5 ring depending on face. Outdoors my circle would fit around the 5 ring on one target, and outline the tire on another. I know the concept would still be the same, just focus on the 5, but my head wouldn't get out of me way, and let me do it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I do.

Use a Tru-Spot for everything! Yes, there are times, when a dot would be better? But unfortunately outside in an uncontroled atmosphere. The perfect picture is a fantasy! In other words, for me, it works more often than it don't!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
We have used them for everyting from the inception of the idea. The only time that a dot or pin has an advantage during marginal lighting is when the dot lens is of a very low power. Other wise it is exactly the advantage of the Center grind only lenses because you do not need to see your dot and the spot at the same time. Animal rounds with a bonus spot could be enhanced by carring a couple different size center grind lenes to fine tune your viewing area. Ken

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I used my 6x 1/4 grind at the NFAA outdoor nationals this year and shot the best animal round I've ever shot...of course it was only the 2nd animal round I've ever shot....that being said I did move from about 15th place up to 5th after the animal in the Senior FS...so it did work for me...I think that out of the 28 targets I had 17 x's....the next few days were a washout tho...Kicked over my bow and the sight was never the same again till I got home and squared it up in my vise...still being in the top 20 after a 20+year break to me was like being in the top 20 on American Idol....

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the opinions.. I'm leaning towards getting a couple of different grinds (power/sizes) and trying them out. Then probably just keep a lens that has a dot or drilled fiber for those times that the environment dictates using something else..

I love the True Spot lens.. I guess it just makes my simple mind better able to focus since there are fewer items involved.. :becky:

·
NFAA
2,624 Posts
I use a 6x 3/8" for indoor and FITA/900 round. The grind is a bit too big for the changing targets in field, so I use a Black Eagle with a circle for those. I am thinking about trying the 1/4" grind for those next year...

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I played with one for field a bit this past summer. I really liked it. The only problem I had was shooting in really heavy rain. Had to remove my clarifier and may as well have been shooting blindfolded without it. I guess that's an issue for anyone with any high powered lens though.

·
bowaholic
1,964 Posts
Yea I have been using a 6x 3/8 but got a 1/4 bought. I'm wanting to move my bar closer to cut back on movement and I believe the 1/4 will work good. Plus like Scott said I kinda wondered about going outdoors with the 3/8.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts