Archery Talk Forum banner

field strategy???

390 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Shouldernuke!
I'm hunting near a bean field. This time of year they are active in it of course.

Do you prefer to sit on the edge of the field hoping to get one along the edge?

Do you prefer to be back in the woods and try to get them going to the field with no visual of the field?

thanks
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
462 Posts
I have the same situation. I like to hunt the afternoons and get back in the woods on trails that lead to the field. If you hunt AM then the deer are already there and you spook them, hunting PM allows you to get in at midday and not spook them. If you hunt too close to the field it gets almost dark before they get there, no problem with a .243 and a good scope but not ideal with a bow. Get backmin the woods.

· Registered
276 Posts
I seen 3 deer first afternoon within 100 yrds of a Soybean field in the woods. no Visual of the field. I would say go in the woods.

· Registered
10,765 Posts
Back off 50 to 100 yards if at all possable .For two reasons .

1st getting in and out of stands is problematic at best with game still in the feild in the morning before daylight and evening after dark spooking game will ruin the feeding area. So getting in and out will be much easier and you should go for the most part unnoticed.

2nd Also being back gives you animals in shooting range as much as an hour befor thier arrival into the feild.

JMHO feild hunting tends to be too risky.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.