Archery Talk Forum banner

Finally decided on a new 2011 bow (Z7Mag, CRX, Extreme, Element, Monster)

2005 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  jsurvant
I have been sitting on the fence considering the Z7Extreme, Z7Mag, MR7, CRX32, and Element for a new bow. I went in for the second time to shoot them (minus the MR7 of course) agian. I have to say I thought I was going in to confirm that I was going to buy the Magnum. However, I added an additional bow to this shoot. I will attempt to give you my non-techinical, non biased personal experience of each bow.

This all started shooting the '10 Z7 and '10 Monster back in 4th qtr last year. I decided I was on the market for a new bow. Might was well wait until the 2011's are all released. Not all of above bows were exact DL, but were at least 28-29". 65#.

Z7 Extreme: Surprisingly stable and smooth for a 28" ATA. I did not think this would be for me at all, but I must say it got my attention. Very smooth draw with a mild hump into a very solid and comfortable wall. The arrow seemed to spit our of the bow like lightening. The small feeling just made the bow feel 'quick' and snappy. The sound reflected this feel. Quite snappy sling, versus a lower thud. Light bow overall too. The bow barely moved in my hand. I have to be honest that I did not choose this bow soley because "I feel I should not shoot this 'small' of a bow", even though I shot it great and if was fun to shoot. I just dont need anything in the back of my mind making me second guess. Would be a great second or third bow for me at least.

CRX32: Had an awesome feel to it from the moment I picked it up. Has a very balanced feel to it. Very smooth, but deliberate draw, with a deliberate wall. Felt like a perfect blend of smooth, yet strong and "intensional". Just the right valley, not too sluggish and not too loaded feeling. It really was just right. Very quiet as well, but did have a hair more of a ping to it. I did notice a minor jump forward of the bow on release. I dont think it would bother me. I did notice it. I liked this bow alot as well.

Z7 Mag: If I was bias on a bow it was this one. I must admit that I assumed this was going to be my new bow seeing how much I loved the z7 in 2010. The first thing I noticed was the weight of the bow. The second thing I noticed was the tendancy for the bow to dip down and or side to side. I was a bit top heavy. This bow seemed to ahve alot of riser. Various stabilizers helped but did not correct completely. However, it shot like a dream. I just kept noticing the bow willing to (NOT 'wanting' to) dip side to side. It felt like I was balancing a weight on the top axel or something. The draw was a dream and the bow was DEAD ZERO in the hand at release. Very nice bow, but what can I say, if the weight and or weight dispersement was not to my likings then I need a lighter bow. Perhaps something in my form is preventing me from being completely stable w this riser.

Element: I knew it would be light, but what would that mean. It obviously felt great. I was surprised at its balance even before the stabilizer. The draw was great. Very much like my description in the CRX. Very smooth, but strong and deliberate. I would describe it as a blend of control between me and the bow. We each had a little. It felt secure and balanced. I was amazed by two immediate things next. First, the sound was a very low level thump and second, the bow sat in my hand dead. All these bows were quiet, but the sound of the Element was different. Nothing pingy or high pitched. Just a low quiet thump or thud. In terms of balance, it felt like there was a string running down the middle of the riser with a small weight attached to it. The bow wanted to correct itself vertically if you leaned or tilted it. For whatever preconceived notion I had, I was very surprised how such a light bow could be so still and calm when laughting arrows at today's speeds.

MR7: I am Jones'n for a new bow and tired of waiting for them to release their "2011" MR series.

So, I went with the Element. Will just have to bite the extra $$. I will be doing a small and light stab as this bow did not feel like it needed much at all. I dont want to put any undo weight on this carbon bow. I am pumped and cant weight to hit the stands with it.

The Extreme and CRX were tied at number two. If the Element did not jump in the lead so apparently, then I would probably still at the shop scratching my head.

Cheers!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5,172 Posts
congrats on your new bow. I had a similar experience shooting all the latest bows. I narrowed my search down to the Element and Invasion. I ruled out the Mathews early, I honestly think Mathews has lost a step. I do not care for the riser design, grip or balance. I too, went with the Element. The balance is better than any other short ATA bow. It is very quiet and faster than advertised - imagine that. The more I shoot my Element, the more I like it. I'm guessing you will feel the same.

· Registered
17,332 Posts
Great choice, congrats!!! The Element is a beauty, best of luck with it!

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you mean by that? It's a nice bow - not sure if it's a "man's" bow vs. any other.
Perhaps aggressive if not even radical. I could tell it would take alot for me to control it. I mentioned that the Element felt like a partnership between half me and half bow in control. I did not feel that balance. More bow was in control than me. AKA - might have needed more 'man'.

· Recovering hunting addict
8,312 Posts
The powerstroke on the Invasion comes on sooner to level out the hump and generate some extra speed. If it wasn't for you I wouldn't say it's because your not 'manly' - simply put the draw curve of Element felt better to you. Not sure what there is to control? Nothing wrong with that. The Element is a very nice bow.

· Registered
3,357 Posts
Great choice. I went to my local area 3d range lastweek and shot a 290 IBO score. I havent shot 3d in a year and with this bow it really performed awesome. Like you said it wants to correct its self left to right in balanceing, i think this is do to the offset stabilizer. Another sweet bow from hoyt.

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep. That was the most distinquishing thing of that bow...it just wants to be vertical and upright with or without a stab. Very pleasant balance and feel to it. My challenge now is to outfit and set it up in a way as to not jeopardize any of this natural balance and light weight.

· Registered
3,715 Posts
Wise choice, I know I am loving mine. First Hoyt I have ever owned and to say I am impressed is an understatement...... I am considering either another Element or a Matrix Plus as a second carbon bow in the stable.

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wise choice, I know I am loving mine. First Hoyt I have ever owned and to say I am impressed is an understatement...... I am considering either another Element or a Matrix Plus as a second carbon bow in the stable.
Those were the days when my disposable income was my own. "Why do you need another gun, another bow, another boat.......?" "Because I want one" does not fly like it used to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.