Archery Talk Forum banner

Finally got around to building a press this weekend

4329 Views 14 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  hdrewsky10
My father-in-law and I built this press over the weekend. It works awesome!!! Best of all, it only cost $26 to build. Its built like a Tank!!

Free for this build / Materials:
-Scrap steel (junk pile)
-Hospital bed side table (work junk pile)
-Rubber tube (atv flat)
-Duct tape (who doesn't have a role or 5 hanging around)
-Electrical tape (same as duct tape)

Purchased for this build / Materials:
-plasti-dip $12 (had to order it, rubber tube & duct tape currently in place)
-Spray on bedliner $9
-Spray paint $5

Tools used:
-Mig welder
-Angle grinder
-Bench grinder
-Square
-Measuring tape
-Chop saw
-Cutting torch

Jonny

Attachments

Reactions: 300 30x 69
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Banned
1,400 Posts
That will work great if you just need to work on strings on bows that fit the finger "spread".

Doesn't look like you can adjust the width between the fingers though for bows with skinny limbs.

Also, if 38" is maximum extension, there will be many bows that you will not be able to fully relax to change limbs, but for $26 you can't go wrong if it fits your bows and you likely won't need to change limbs.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
-The Crank assembly is from the bed side hospital table. Lots of steel added for strength.

-The fingers are not adjustable nor are they attached (they just slide on). They were made to fit a Katera and a Bengal (and whatever else is the same diameter).

-My father-in-law wanted to make adjustable fingers however I wanted them to fit my bows for the time being. We compromised and attached the fingers to U-Shaped sliders (rather than welding right to the press) that way the finger plates can be cut in the middle and tapped for a bolt underneath if I want to ever make it adjustable.

-Limbs can be fully taken down on the Katera (proven), however I have yet to disassemble the Bengal. I’m sure it can fully take down any 33” ATA bow problem free. May have to back off the draw weight on a longer bow…..but I don’t know anyone with one at the moment to try.

-It fully presses my Katera in 3 cranks, and holds solid wherever you leave the handle. I will take some action shots tonight. All I need to do now is dip those fingers when my Plastidip gets here.

This was a blast to build, and works awesome!!!! Great way to spend a weekend with family.

jonny

· Registered
4 Posts
My father-in-law and I built this press over the weekend. It works awesome!!! Best of all, it only cost $26 to build. Its built like a Tank!!

Free for this build / Materials:
-Scrap steel (junk pile)
-Hospital bed side table (work junk pile)
-Rubber tube (atv flat)
-Duct tape (who doesn't have a role or 5 hanging around)
-Electrical tape (same as duct tape)

Purchased for this build / Materials:
-plasti-dip $12 (had to order it, rubber tube & duct tape currently in place)
-Spray on bedliner $9
-Spray paint $5

Tools used:
-Mig welder
-Angle grinder
-Bench grinder
-Square
-Measuring tape
-Chop saw
-Cutting torch

Jonny
That's a fantastic set up 👊
Thanxs for the tip on the limbs, however I thought that the half an inch the press needs to compress the limbs is minor copared to the draw compression from shooting the bow?????

let me know if im mistaken

Jonny
Fantastic !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.