Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL.

Well, I'm a low tech "traditional" kind of a guy, traditional values, yada yada, guess that's why I shoot trad vs. wheels. Anyway, I love me some fancy wood bows yes sir, laminated or selfbows...also love simplicity, but having never tried ILF and reading/hearing all the "hype" I felt I had to try it finally. The main reason is I have been relentlessly searching for "one bow to rule them all." Still no luck there! I own a handful of phenomenal bows, but I'm constantly eyeing the next best thing as far as smoothness, stability, etc. I realize I won't be able to get max performance out of a bow like an expert, I'm an average shooter, but I do feel that I'm able to easily discern a bows shooting characteristics now that I've tried so many and been back at it for a while.

Well anyway, I went ahead today and picked up used set of TT BF Extreme 'long' 50# limbs and I'm also about to pick up a nice used Hoyt Excel 21" riser too. Should make a 66" bow, I have a 'longer' draw and I also love lengthy bows just for feel and aesthetics. Plan on shooting this setup 'off the shelf.' I am willing to do the ILF rig but I'm not ready to get all crazy with plungers and all those doodads.

Prolly did ok for my first ILF rig, eh? Viper would be proud, Lol.

Can't wait to get it in the mail and try it out. Those BF limbs are supposed to be great is the word.

Any tips for an ILF newb? The riser is coming to me with a manual, anything I should know before I get a string on her and get shooting? I shoot split finger, btw.

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
nine -

Initially, treat it like any other bow, with the following caveats:

1. Check the tiller, anywhere between neutral and 1/4" positive is usually OK, I just set mine to 1/8" + and forget it. That's usually the factory setting, and the only reason I mention it, is because you never know what the previous owner did. Make sure the limb bolt lock screws are tight.

2. The Excel is probably cut farther past center than your other bows, so you will need to build out the rest or strike plate a bit.

Since the riser is 21", the limbs should scale to the marked weight.

Enjoy.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I almost jumped on that set of limbs...you got a helluva good deal on them. I'd love to find a set of mediums for that price. I have a set of Samick BF 42# mediums on the way so we'll see how they work out. Those limbs on that riser should be a real nice shooting bow....post up when you get it set up. I don't have any tips for you but I will tell you it's addicting. I've only been shooting ILF for a little over a year and haven't really shot anything else. It's alot of fun playing with the different riser/limb combinations. I just sold 4 sets of limbs and 2 risers that I didn't shoot much and still have 4 risers and 7 sets of limbs....that makes for alot of experimenting but I'm finally getting close to the right set-ups that work for both me and the bows. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nine -

Initially, treat it like any other bow, with the following caveats:

1. Check the tiller, anywhere between neutral and 1/4" positive is usually OK, I just set mine to 1/8" + and forget it. That's usually the factory setting, and the only reason I mention it, is because you never know what the previous owner did. Make sure the limb bolt lock screws are tight.

2. The Excel is probably cut farther past center than your other bows, so you will need to build out the rest or strike plate a bit.

Since the riser is 21", the limbs should scale to the marked weight.

Enjoy.

Viper1 out.

Thanks Viper! Cool, yeah I'll build the shelf out just like I have it on my Dorado.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol, Jim. I saw you posting on his ad. I'm a bad boy, still havn't moved those two bows I'm trying to sell. About to list another too. I agree, those limbs were a steal. The scratch on the top one is superficial and I will fix it, I do auto restorations. You bet I'll post pics of the new 66" monster. I'm stoked!

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Viper is right on with the tiller that is exactly what I do

I set it for 1/8 positive and forget it

The Extremes are wonderful and make my other customs recurves pale in comparison when it comes to smoothness, speed and general manners

You will be pleased with your purchase

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the new rig put together and dialed in today! OMG! I finally found her! One bow to rule them all! Viper- now I know why you're such a huge proponent of these ILF rigs. This thing is CHOICE. It's like I've finally got a Bugatti Veyron in a bow. Forget shoot where you look this is shoot where you think. I still love a nice custom wood bow but performance wise I've hit the jackpot, big time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts