Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot my Iron Will wide a bunch of times today in my Matrix target and this thing is still razor sharp. After all these shots it’s still much sharper than lots of new heads from the factory. I now see what people are talking about with blade retention through a whole animal. These heads are awesome and can’t wait to get my first kill with them.
Line Wood Bicycle part Electricity Twig

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I shot my Iron Will wide a bunch of times today in my Matrix target and this thing is still razor sharp. After all these shots it’s still much sharper than lots of new heads from the factory. I now see what people are talking about with blade retention through a whole animal. These heads are awesome and can’t wait to get my first kill with them.
View attachment 7677643
Is that the Wide version?

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sharpen it asap. You about to learn what happens to high quality steel when it gets dull also. I’ve spent an hour resharpening heads in the. 60 hardness range.
I have a Wicked Edge that I will use on these. It does an amazing job on all my knives no matter the steel they are. Those diamond stones work quick and I know that jig will get them back to a razors edge when the time comes. The little bleeders I will have to sharpen in my KME and I am worried about the size of them and getting an edge. Might have to buy new ones for hunting if they don’t fit.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The carbide sharpener they sell is great for getting them back to shaving sharp. Usually after 10-15 shots in a target they wont shave but after 10 gentle strokes(lol) they back to cutting my arm hairs.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I have a Wicked Edge that I will use on these. It does an amazing job on all my knives no matter the steel they are. Those diamond stones work quick and I know that jig will get them back to a razors edge when the time comes. The little bleeders I will have to sharpen in my KME and I am worried about the size of them and getting an edge. Might have to buy new ones for hunting if they don’t fit.
How is the flight on those badboys?

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How is the flight on those badboys?
Flying amazingly well and hitting the same as my field points! My bow is tuned to perfection and they are going to be up first this season. I will have some Iron Will 1 1/16” 100 grain heads for windy days and of course my Exodus heads in the quiver as well.

·
Registered
Mathews Atlas, Easton carbon arrows, Iron Will broad heads
8,472 Posts
Which Lansky sharpener? And do you use sandpaper or stones?
I use the Lansky where you clamp the blade in a holder, then stroke it with stones of different coarseness. I use regular stones, medium, fine and extra fine. i tried the diamond stones and did not get them to work well, but I read that others like them. I’ve used a Lansky for bh sharpening for 40 years. I won’t use a bh that I can’t sharpen with my Lansky.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Maybe its just me with the stay sharp jig. Could never get that thing to work right for me.
You also had trouble with the Staysharp? I literally threw mine in the garbage and bought a KME broadhead shapener. I love it. For blades that fit in my Wicked Edge I will always use that.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You had trouble with the Staysharp? I literally threw mine in the garbage and bought a KME broadhead shapener. I love it. For blades that fit in my Wicked Edge I will always use that.
Same with me, my KME should be here any day now. Had a lot of trouble sharpening my IW SB’s with it other than the main long section of the blade

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just took 5 more shots and it still slices a rubber band with minimal effort.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts