Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum. About 15 years ago I bought a used Martin Howatt Hunter 55lb recurve bow. I finally settled on Easton 2075 aluminum 2018 shafts. These shoot great given my draw length and point wieght. A bonus is they are very durable which I attribute to their robust wall thickness.
I immediately bought 3 dozen shafts, some trueflight feathers, and 125 grain field points. At that point if figure I could assemble and arrow for about $2.50.
An Easton 2018 was discontinued for a a period of time but I see they are again available. However the cost has gone up 5 fold so I'm motivated to hang onto my arrow supply.
I practice on my back lawn and after loosing a bunch of arrows I decided to purchase a metal detector. I couldn't be happier with that decision.
In about 15 minutes I recovered 10 arrows. They were all quite haggard but rebuildable. All of them somehow berried themselves completely under ground by about 2 to 3".
No wonder I couldn't find them!
I don't think I could build and arrow for less than 10 bucks nowadays. Anyway I got my $65.00 investment back double.
Get yourself a metal detector!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm tempted to go to my archery club with my metal detector.. God only knows how many arrows I'd find

·
Registered
192 Posts
I’ve considered this myself as well as going treasure hunting with the kids at the park/river/etc.

Which brand metal detector did you end up going with?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I used mine plenty of times. Very easy to find aluminum arrows. It is harder to find the carbon ones because you have to find to nock bushing or the point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a Bounty Hunter brand Gold digger model.
Yeh, buried aluminum arrows have a signature. The detector beeps over the entire length. In this manner I avoid digging for anything that only beeps in a single point. (unless I'm curious ha!)

·
Registered
Bowtech Revolt X, Bowtech Carbon Icon
194 Posts
I bought one for this exact purpose. I have 3 kids that shoot who are constantly "oops"ing. That gets spendy. It has easily paid for itself.
Word for the wise, buy a pointer as well if you decide to look for other stuff, save a ton of time and digging!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Take shoes and socks off, and metal rake works wonders. If it is buried way deep then really only way is metal detector. Metal rake even if it just clips the nock ur gonna know it

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used mine plenty of times. Very easy to find aluminum arrows. It is harder to find the carbon ones because you have to find to nock bushing or the point.
Insert a piece of leader wire in the carbon shaft, it would not affect your spine and weighs next to nothing but the metal detector would pick it up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just don’t miss the target!!!! LOL That’s why I own a metal detector now!!!!

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
Just don’t miss the target!!!! LOL That’s why I own a metal detector now!!!!
And there was me thinking all the years the real skill was seeing how close you could get to the target without actually hitting it.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
And there was me thinking all the years the real skill was seeing how close you could get to the target without actually hitting it.
Saves wear and tear on those expensive targets. 😎

·
The Impartial Archer
19,966 Posts
We used them all the time in the old days. Now since most people shoot carbon arrows only the tip is detected so I think people have forgotten how much they were used in the past. 20+ inches of arrow is an east target for a detector. I still prefer aluminum arrows and for that metal detectors are great......I don't own one but they work well.

OP you must be a lair (just kidding don't get mad) because just ask everyone here on AT how easy aluminum arrows are to bend..........lol. I have had people here say they bend them just shooting straight into the target ALONE.......and then just pulling them out as well. So when I see a thread like this where you miss the target and then find them and they are fine you have to make note of that for the people that don't know any better or fib a little about how easy any aluminum arrows bend.

You did say you shoot 2018 and like I tell folks here a lot the XX18 and 19's are super tough......the 15 and 16 are even tougher than people think but when you get down to the 12 & 13 then you get to the arrows that started getting easy to bend mantra.......unfortunately people think they are all the same........you know they aren't and so do I.

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
Our archery range is on forestry commission land. A couple of years ago we had to shut one of our competition ranges so that they could do some tree clearance and maintenance. At that time I was on the club committee and got a very heated phone call from the commission because apparently when they felled one of the trees they found an arrow in an old squirrel dray. There were threats of calling the police, closing us down and accusations of illegal hunting activity on their property.
So a meeting was called at the range and I insisted the offending arrow was brought forward for inspection. What we were presented with was a cheap nasty wooden arrow, the sort of thing that comes with a kids toy bow and arrow set. I pointed out this was definitely not the sort of kit we use and even compared it arrows selected from other members. I pointed out that this land has public rights of way crossing it and in all likelihood it was some kid who'd been given a set for a present and he was probably trying his luck. Additionally, I said, if any of our club members had taken the shot, they wouldn't have missed the bloody squirrel! This was met by howls of laughter from the club members and a somewhat tight lipped responses from the forestry team.
We now have to put our names on all of our arrows we use at the range.🤨

·
Registered
91 Posts
+1 for metal detector. We were able to locate several arrows that disappeared into the grass while shooting at 110yards

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just go out to retrieve arrows barefooted at the practice range.

Almost always come home with more arrows than I began with.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts