Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
The metal detector works great for your brass too!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I love it when guys try metal detecting on out range. It was an old farmstead, with metal junk piles buried everywhere. We use metal broom thread poles with 4” paint roller handles. Minus the paint roll. We call it ”The Hook of Shame”. Drag it every 2 feet apart. Works great.

Id still rather have metal detector though!

Reactions: LabRat Brewer

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Anybody use a point wand or small hand held? Might be a little slower but should find an arrow 2”
In dirt.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Mixed results with the metal detector, of course it's a cheapo from harbor, so I know there's better out there.
I'd say we found about 60% of the lost arrows.
It's surprisingly slow going when you have a arrow skitter off 50 + yards away, the area to grid search gets big quick, so I'd like to have 4 metal detectors hooked side by side by side.

·
When's bow season start?
9,022 Posts
So when I see a thread like this where you miss the target and then find them and they are fine you have to make note of that for the people that don't know any better or fib a little about how easy any aluminum arrows bend.
Still an aluminum shooter. From XX75 2213’s, XX78 2314’s to XX75 2514’s. I haven’t bent an arrow in years.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
One of our field target ranges there are four targets that require a shot between two trees which can be quite challenging. I've seen arrows rattled around the woods like a ball in a pinball machine when those shots go wrong. Observers can usually follow the arrow for two or three ricochet but after that it any body's guess where the arrow goes. I sure a club metal detector would be very useful, but there again, so was the club chronograph....... Until someone shot it. 😒

• Haha
Reactions: Aeselrov

·
The Impartial Archer
19,927 Posts
It's surprisingly slow going when you have a arrow skitter off 50 + yards away, the area to grid search gets big quick, so I'd like to have 4 metal detectors hooked side by side by side.
One way to really decrease that area is to mark where you shot from and then stand back behind the target and line up the 2 points.....then work your way forward toward the target. If nothing then go the other way. If you have multiple people have someone stay at the spot you shot from and guide you in where you thought it went.

If you hear it land softly that's a great sign......if you hear it bounce off stuff that search area can be HUGE.

I lost a lot of arrows back when I started because that's what we do and there was a point where we'd pick shots that the chances of making it were darn near impossible to learn trajectory and to add pressure to making hard shots.......so I was pretty good at looking for arrows then.

Now I don't group shoot, have a lot more experience, and only shoot my 3D target at unknown distances out to 40 yards so I'll go years and years without having to search for an arrow or damaging one. That's one reason I still shoot aluminum they last me a long long time and they offer other things I value.

My thoughts are now is if one gets away it was a probably a bad apple and had bad karma so I won't even look too long..........lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
My course is predictable, ie, my back yard. There is nothing to ricochet off of. For the last couple years I have shoot off my deck, which is elevated, at a target on the ground. There's a bit of a better angle so there is less tendency to loose an arrow under the grass now.
So far I recovered and rebuilt 10 arrows. Most were about 2" under ground. I broke two more being to aggressive pulling them out. I may have a half hour of searching/digging time invested.
I can tell how many years an aluminum arrow has been there by how much the original dark green anodization finish has faded. I have one that is almost clear aluminum. I remove/dispose/replace the old points which are a ball of rust typically. The aluminum inserts survive.
So.....my $70.00 metal detector has more than paid for itself.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Murphy's Law for Lost arrows:
1. The odds of finding a lost arrow are in inverse proportion to its cost.
2. The chances of losing an arrow increases depending upon how recently that dozen arrows was purchased.
3. If you go shooting with four new arrows and one old junker and break one, it won't be the junker.
4. If you go shooting with four old arrows and one brand new one, it won't be an old arrow that gets stuck in a tree and cant be pulled out.
6. When searching for a lost arrow, you will always find three arrows lost by others, but you will never find yours.
7. When shooting 3D in a group, the loudest smack-talker never loses one of his arrows, but the quiet serious guys are doomed.

If you've been shooting long enough you know each of these laws are the absolute truth. LOL

Automan

• Haha
Reactions: FBrit

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
There's just something about dogs and sticks. They are at the height their of glory if they find a stick to carry around. If that stick happens to be an arrow you have a real keeper and she's a definite keeper.

ThanX for the pic and the grin it put on my face.

Automan

21 - 34 of 34 Posts