Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was at the local club shooting some 3D for the upcoming IBO. A fella told me a way to find centershot was to shoot a arrow at 40 yds. Then walk up to 7 yds with the sight still at 40 and shoot another arrow. The arrow shot about inch left from the arrow that was shot at 40 (the object is to shoot them srtight up and down from each other). He told me to move the rest to the right. In his words is the best way to find centershot. Is this true?

James D.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Walk back method

James it's easier to just use your 20 yard pin and go from 20-40 yards in 5 yard increments aiming at the same spot for all of your shots. Keep adjusting your rest until all of your shots fall in a vertical line straight up and down. Ken

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
????

That just might work if one could shoot consistent groups at those ranges on the order of 0.125 to 0.250 inches C to C!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
walk back method

James .... I BOW 2 s method does work very well , the only thing I mite add to it would be , that you pay attention to only the good shots , if ya thro a flier -- disregard that shot , and shoot several groups and pay attention to the average......... GOOD LUCK !!!!!

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I use the walkback method as well. I start with my 20 Yard setting at 15 yards from the 50 yard target and walk back in 5 yard increments all the way back to the 50 yard line. I look for a few things: a pattern like this l, or \ or / or C or a reverse "C" shape. Obviously the first one " l " is the desired one. The other two will give me arrow rest centershot indications and the two different "C" shapes will give me arrow spine indications.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Move it left!

yes, this method works well --------- but.

If I'm reading your message right, you need to move the rest left ----- not right. You always want to move the long distance toward the short one.

In other words - if your long distance is to the left, move the rest toward the right --- and vice versa. Move it in very small increments until you get a verticle line.

DDD

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
There was a long thread on this subject awhile back. I said that center shot adjustment was a waste of time and the discussion it caused pretty much covered all the Q and A you might have. Do a search on "adjusting your center shot" and see if you can find it.
I still say if your sight is leveled properly, your arrows will shoot in line from 20 to 80 yds. Set the centershot to center and forget it.
Joe B.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I found the thread. It was "Walkback tuning is a waste of time".
Check it out, it's really a lively one.
Joe B.

·
Just shoot it!!!
3,178 Posts
Plumb Bob Tuning

1. Shoot a group @ about 20 yds.
2. Hang a plumb bob dead center of the group
3. Back up to 30 yards and shoot another group using the same pin as you did @ 20 yds.
4. Move your arrow rest in small increments towards the plumb bob string. eg, if your 2nd set of arrows hit left of the string move the rest to the right.
5. Repeat until the string is in dead center of both groups Or as close to the string as possible (1/2 inch).

Monty Roca

1 - 11 of 11 Posts