Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm waiting on a new one to be completed now that PSE factory is back up and running. I did buy a used bow of the same specs except poundage on limbs. I am still able to get this bow set at what I will be shooting the new one at. Here is my set up and what I have found on tuning.
I have it set up up on 32 inch DL, 46 pounds, top cam is set just a fraction closer to the draw stop ahead of the bottom cam. I'm running the arrow just above center on the rest hole. I have a Hamskea fall away. Tied loop and I shoot with an index trigger release.

My initial set was with a Shibyua sight, 29 mil scope with a 5x power scope, 27 inch front Smack down bar with 10oz, I have V bars on the back both are 15 inch Smack Down bars, arrow side 7oz and rest/sight side is 4 oz, Black Eagle PS 26 full length with 150 grain tips and Beiter nocks, with 4 inch Vane Tech vanes slight off set.

I set them up and did some bare shafting at 20 yards, Just enough to feel comfortable with the tune. I didn't do any paper tuning. I shot this less than a week when I decided to do a Vegas game. First game was a 296 with 20 X's and the next day I shot another game and it was a 297 with 19 X's. I used Archers Advantage to help with arrows. AA showed the 26's slightly weak and the PS27's with 150 tip center up perfect. SO yep I had to try it. Same vanes, same length, same nocks, and 150 grain tip. I did the same bare shaft tune method and was happy with the results. This last weekend I shot another Vegas game. I ended up with a 296 with 15 x's. It was a tough 296. I got a lot of side to sides on the 10 ring. I just didn't feel they were hitting behind the dot. All this being said I felt the 26's just flew better. Today I grabbed the 26's and did a retune. I had time to shoot a half game only. I dropped only 1 point and X count back up.

2 things come to mind on this. I am a believer that a great flying arrow hitting the center is better than the fattest shaft being only 85% good. Second thing is the cam system I have on this is the same as my Perform X and it also liked a little weaker shaft. What has everyone else found out?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I found that my bow shoots better with the cams timed dead even.
I also have a 32 in draw and shoot 47 lbs.
I'm shooting BE PS23 that tip the scales at 423 gr. I'm shooting Flex Fletch 4 inch vanes.
I don't run a rear bar and I'm running a 32 inch front bar

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I set mine up with the cams as described. Maybe I need to try it dead even also. Kn owing me I probably will.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
I always set my stops to hit at the same time. That is the best feel for me. I also set my arrow a little above center of the Berger hole. As far as arrow level I usually end up 1/16th nock high. I'm a firm believer in experimenting with setup. I shot my first Supra Focus on 70, 75, 80, 85% letoff before deciding that 80% was MY sweet spot. What works for me may not work for somebody else. You are doing the right thing by checking out different setups. I agree to go with the best shooting arrow vs. the biggest shaft size.

Hopefully in another two weeks I'll have your new Supra Focus headed your way. This virus has everything screwed up.................

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to try to shoot Sunday with the cams even. I will be able to keep that method or scratch it off myth list of don't do that again. LOL I have played with the letoff also and I forgot to mention I did take 2 twist out of each cable and in with the string. I got that 1/8 inch shorter DL I was needing.
No worries on the bow. I completely understand the situation. I'm also certain that it could be delayed more if folks of more status reorders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts