Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I've posted this before, I couldn't find it if I did.
I had a request for more details on the arrow rest that I built.

This is basically the standard magnetic arrow rest. The original I believe was the Terry magnetic rest. At least that was the first magnetic rest I ever saw. I still use the Terry on the youth bows, I find it to me durable and affective.

I built mine to fit on my target bows which are Martin ShadowCats.
The rest was built from 1/4" Aluminum L angle. The part that rotates is an aluminum extended hex nut purchased from McMaster Carr. I drilled a hole in it and a a hole in the rest frame too. I laced the wire arm through the frame and the nut and held it in place with a bolt. What I found was that the single bolt deflected the wire enough that it kept it from rotating cleanly so I added another bolt from the other end to compress and hold it from both ends. This allowed it to rotate easily. I drilled a hole in the frame and epoxied in a rare earth magnet that attracts the steel bolt and holds the arrow rest in the "open" position until release. At release the wire arm folds in against the face of the sight window allowing the arrow to leave relatively unimpeded. This is basic 1980's technology but still current standard fair for the finger shooters. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
928 Posts
Excellent. Nicely done. What's the arm made of and what diameter?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Very nice indeed-Bow-bender.
I wish Martin keep that recessed slot, that way when you have to move the plunger, you don't move the flipper arm. The Terry rest is only about $9 from lancaster archery.
Might pick one up, beats the $ 48 rest they want me to buy-lol :wink:

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to be honest I made it so long ago I don't remember I think it was one of those ultra cheap coat hangers you get from the dry cleaner. But it could also be wire I bought for making Musky spinners. If I were a betting man though I would bet the coat hanger.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Looks like those extra mounting holes in the riser are the key. Even with just the dual plunger holes you could use one for a plunger and the other for mounting the flipper arm rest thingy to keep them independent. Single plunger hole mounts (like the Protec) are a nuisance for a two-way system. Now I'm wondering how risky would it be to drill and tap a hole for the flipper arm bracket...:scared:

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or if you were to foam tape the flipper in place and just have the cushion plunger secure it in place that would allow you to adjust the plunger without moving the wire arm. Well I would think, and that wouldn't require you to modify the riser. I had a protec it was a nice shooting bow but I couldn't get parts reliably from Hoyt so switched to martin.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Or if you were to foam tape the flipper in place and just have the cushion plunger secure it in place that would allow you to adjust the plunger without moving the wire arm. Well I would think, and that wouldn't require you to modify the riser. I had a protec it was a nice shooting bow but I couldn't get parts reliably from Hoyt so switched to martin.
After another hard look at the riser and some scrounging through the junk boxes, I cam up with this... Frankenrest cable guid mount 1.JPG Frankenrest cable guide mount 2.JPG

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya that's a nice solution. Keeps the flipper independent of the cushion plunger which should make it a lot easier to adjust. so long as the clamping mechanism is solid, that's a nice solution.

·
Registered
928 Posts
It's from a Chuck Adams arrow rest. Added one drilled and tapped hole and cut out a section to create a flat surface in plane with the center line. Locks on to that cable guide, tighter than the queen's chastity belt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts