Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is sort of an iffy topic, but I will get straight to point. I am new to archery and prefer shooting with my fingers due to the fact that using a trigger is too similar (in my opinion) to shooting a gun...but with an arrow. I also feel like shooting with fingers gives you a bit more control than with a trigger although it seems to be a lot easier to get good with a trigger from what I've heard. I am curious as to what people with more experience think about this topic and if you think it is doable to shoot 40lb with fingers since I plan on hunting in the future.

I am currently shooting 30lb give or take with my fingers and have little to no pain after shooting 50 or so arrows.

·
Banned
736 Posts
My gf shoots 55lbs with fingers. More control? I dont think so. But I'm no expert. I'm setting up one of my bows for her to use with a release. She's never really used a release before for any length of time. I know she'll be more consistent with one if she puts in the time though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You'll be able to increase poundage no problem. I shoot fingers at much higher weight for hunting. Might look into a thumb release, seems easier to handle and shoot.

·
Registered
616 Posts
For those of us shooting long enough, we all started with fingers. More control with fingers than a release? I don't see how. A release has a single point of pull on the string vs 3 fingers. Once I started with a release, my fingers never pulled a compound string again. But if you are a finger guy, go for it. Fingers will still get it done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like shooting a compound with fingers cause I like the sensation better. The mechanical release will be more consistent and the only ones that interest me are the back tension and hinge style. I've shot the nock on silverback a few times. It's nice but I love the feel of the finger release.

·
Back Yard Champion
31,574 Posts
I know this is sort of an iffy topic, but I will get straight to point. I am new to archery and prefer shooting with my fingers due to the fact that using a trigger is too similar (in my opinion) to shooting a gun...but with an arrow. I also feel like shooting with fingers gives you a bit more control than with a trigger although it seems to be a lot easier to get good with a trigger from what I've heard. I am curious as to what people with more experience think about this topic and if you think it is doable to shoot 40lb with fingers since I plan on hunting in the future.

I am currently shooting 30lb give or take with my fingers and have little to no pain after shooting 50 or so arrows.
You admit you're new....Go to shooting events, even a practice range....Rare is one using fingers. Fingers do not give you more control.
I enjoyed shooting with fingers and I was pretty decent, but a release gave so much more accuracy and repeatable accuracy. I still shoot with fingers ever so often, but just to play.

It takes longer ata bows to really enjoy shooting with fingers. Much of today's bows are too short. I prefer ata of 38" and longer, 40+ is even better. Right off I'd say Hoyt has longer compounds more user friendly with fingers.......

·
Registered
63 Posts
I shoot with fingers on all my compound bows. I have shot mostly Hoyt like Pro Defiant 34, HyperEdge and currently shooting Prevail 40. Of all these bows I have enjoyed Prevail the most. The higher let off bows like Pro Force aren’t as consistent as the lower let offs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52,105 Posts
Control no, better accuracy no. Todays bows are not designed to be shot properly with fingers. If fingers is what you want and you feel as you do about releases then just go tradional bows, make the total comitment

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The one thing about shooting fingers is I have never gone off and left my release or dropped my release. With practice, you can shoot very accurate and competively.
Good luck
Frank (a die hard finger shooter)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Key word is with practice, you can shoot accurately with fingers if you spend the time. Just like any release, you must find out if three fingers below the nocking point or one above with two below will work for you. The design of some bows will cause finger release to be more of an issue. Placement of the string on fingers determines how smooth of a release that you will achieve. I first switch to a release because of a broken finger, later due to swelling of the finger joints.
Release types vary so trigger type is just one of many. Thumb releases, back tension releases, etc. You can also use different fingers than the pointer to release.
The archer determines the amount of control regardless of the type of release that is used. Fingers will become fatigued quicker than your muscles.

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
There is a finger shooting compound bow classifieds section in here. You'd be best served with one of those bows. I hunt with a finger shooter and he has a Reflex Caribou. 46" axle to axle.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
For a long time I shot tournaments with a release but would only hunt with fingers. Fingers were more reliable and always available. There are plenty of bows long enough to shoot with fingers, but few that are smooth enough. The newest one that I shot fingers with was the PSE Dominator Max. 40" ATA with Drive cams. I started shooting in 1955, so I have shot with fingers longer than I have shot with a release.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If you enjoy shooting with your fingers more than a release, shoot with your fingers. Get a good finger tab or glove. Are you shooting split finger, three fingers under or two fingers under? Find a longer axel to axel bow with round wheels. Get some instruction from a qualified person, it will help prevent bad habits. Look up Chuck Adams, professional hunter sponsored by Hoyt Archery who also shoots fingers. Shoot the style you enjoy shooting,archery is an individual sport.

·
Registered
21,076 Posts
Nothing wrong with shooting fingers however, like several people have alluded to, most modern compound bows are not intended to be shot with fingers. The shallow cam grooves, short ATA and high letoff bows are very easy to derail if shot with fingers so they actually recommend using a release with them. There are some good compounds designed for finger shooters though. There's even a whole finger shooting forum on here. You'll likely get way more knowledgeable responses if you were to ask questions there. Here's a link for you to that forum. https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=115

·
Registered
69 Posts

I am not really sure how you can equate a release to being similar to shooting a gun, but ok.

Also, if you are going to shoot only 40lbs with a compound in order to use your fingers, is that really making you the best hunter or just satisfying your desire to shoot with your fingers? I mean, if you can pull and shoot 60 or 70 with a release, won't you be a better more effective and ethical hunter than at 40lbs with your fingers?

·
Socket Man
24,701 Posts
I shot with fingers for almost 30 years and my dad shot with fingers up till a year ago and I think that put him right at 60 years of finger shooting, It SUCKS. Just get it out of your head and don't allow yourself to even consider it with a compound, now if you want to get a recurve and learn the instinctive style of shooting then go ahead. But if you are going to shoot a compound don't waste a bunch of time because it is a dead end road.

We have methods for shooting a release that we teach here and it turns your shooting into something cool and you can really enjoy the training that goes along with it. It is definately not just pulling a trigger in fact we don't pull the trigger at all with the good methods. We even have some releases that don't even have a trigger.

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
I am not really sure how you can equate a release to being similar to shooting a gun, but ok.

Also, if you are going to shoot only 40lbs with a compound in order to use your fingers, is that really making you the best hunter or just satisfying your desire to shoot with your fingers? I mean, if you can pull and shoot 60 or 70 with a release, won't you be a better more effective and ethical hunter than at 40lbs with your fingers?
Seriously? A 40 pound compound is every bit as lethal as a 40 recurve or more so. It will kill easily. If he wants to do it with fingers, good for him for accepting the challenge.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Seriously? A 40 pound compound is every bit as lethal as a 40 recurve or more so. It will kill easily. If he wants to do it with fingers, good for him for accepting the challenge.
You missed my point completely. I was saying why shoot a compound at 40lbs to hunt with your fingers if you can pull 50 or 60 or 70 with a release.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.