Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK needs some input here. I've made some finger tabs that I use with my recurve setup and I like how well they stay on your hand and protect your fingers. The design isn't all that remarkable it is pretty similar to a bunch that are already on the market. It is just that this style of tab is between $25.00 and $50.00. Having built this one I understand the costs, there is a decent amount of labor that goes into them. My problem is that I want to make about 30 to 50 of these for my youth program so I need to be able to mass produce them. I can cut out the aluminum part (I'm going to use plastic) and drill the holes with my X-Carve CNC machine but I need to also cut out the leather. Cutting 30 or more of those out with a pair of scissors strikes me as painfully slow if and a pain in the fingers too. I would like to die cut them out but I don't have a die nor do I have a press. I'm thinking I can probably make a die out of an old ban-saw blade so how would you guys suggest I make the press. I thought of using a vise but that too sounds a bit slow I was thinking perhaps a press made from a long lever. I would like to hear your thoughts. Alternatively I might we able to spay adhesive the leather to a board and also cut the tabs out with the CNC. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I wasn't expecting the overwhelming apathy I got from this post but I should know better all the other youth equipment posts I've done in the past have drifted off into obscurity too. :)

For anyone who might be interested... I decided to give the X-Carve a go on the leather. I kind of expected it to make a mess but it actually did an OK job. I have to do a little clean up but it worked well enough. The plastic I had on the other hand made a huge friggin mess. As the router bit plunged down into the plastic the off cuts would get wrapped around the bit. It would then cut around the outside of the piece and start to melt both the piece and the plastic that was on the bit. I had to stop after every one and clean the welded on gobs of melted plastic from the bit. I finally just cut the plastic out by hand and drilled the holes using an aluminum template. I then bolted them together. Even though I drilled the holes for the finger spacers I decided to leave them off because the kids always complain about them. Here is what it looks like so far. I ordered cord locks to put on the para-cord instead of the knot but they haven't come in yet. I'll post up the final piece when I'm done.

If you are wondering what the X-Cave is look here
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2461730

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
Looks good.
What is the material on the other side of the leather?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Great looking project. Making 50 of these for your youth program? Fantastic. Thanks for your commitment to youth archery.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good.
What is the material on the other side of the leather?
Since it is the prototype the material is cut out of one of the BCY giveaway rubber pad bottle openers. I've order 1/16" neoprene sheet to cut the rest of them out of.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
If budget is a major issue why not skip the fasteners entirely and stitch the leather on?
Also you could try adapting a Silhouette (CNC vinyl cutter that works on leather) blade onto the head of your X-carve.

Grant

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about a draw knife, I think you are spot on there, the commercial versions are really expensive and to make one looked like it would take me more time than I have but I think you are right. For next year I'll have to get the draw knife adapter built. I think you are right that would be much cleaner and faster than stamping them and it would be using the equipment I already have.

Stitching leather is really tough and none of the sewing machines I have would do it. I got 50 tabs worth of stainless steel bolts from McMaster car for right around 5 bucks. I had the plastic bit l;aying around so that really wasn't a cost. By stacking the plastic parts together and putting them in a vise I was able to drill and tap 5 at a time. That actually went pretty smoothly. Punching the holes in the leather and rubber was actually the most time consuming part. I'm not sure is a draw knife would be able to cut the 1/8" holes I need in the leather but I'll have to five that a try.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Having used a Silhouette machine which isn't all that powerful in terms of plunging ability I've been able to cut very precise holes in cordovan. The secret is to make 2-3 light passes, also since the blade is very fine and swivels it does corners nicely. I can get a tab perfectly trimmed, scan it, create a file and duplicate it precisely.

I was thinking hand stitching actually, not that hard with a good needle and saddlers twine. However for the bulk manufacturering you are doing bolts seem much easier. You don't find the plastic strips out over time?
I have a leather sewing machine but getting the stitch length to precisely match predrilled holes is a challenge. Plus I like to be able to keep a spare tab face with me just encase.

I list after an X-carve rather badly. I would love to see how well it could be used to do some basic processes on a few wood riser designed.

Grant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts