Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yes, people most definitely CAN and DO shoot modern compounds with tabs or gloves.

When we do that, it is CALLED "finger shooting" although we rarely do use bare fingers. The term is to distinguish from "release shooting" using mechanical release aids.

Finger Compound styles include:

Barebow (allows stabilizer of any length, clicker / draw check (under the arrow), level (under the arrow)

Freestyle Limited (allows stabilizer of any length, clicker of any type, sight of any type, level which is usually incorporated into the sight

NFAA formerly had a style called Bowhunter Freestyle Limited which only allowed short (12") stabilizer, NO clicker, five fixed pin sight, but that was eliminated in 2019.

I take it, you cannot shoot modern compounds with a tab???

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes, people most definitely CAN and DO shoot modern compounds with tabs or gloves.
Nice response wa-prez. Believe it or not there are still some archers who prefer to use fingers rather than a mechanical release to shoot a bow. It is much more fun. Although there are very few bows made today that are long enough for the finger shooter, you can still find bows in the 40 inch plus range that will work fine for finger/sight shooters. Not so much for string walkers. Hoyt, Mathews, PSE and others offer those 40" bows that will work just fine for fingers. That is in my opinion however. I am getting an old Hoyt Prostar outfitted with new lower pound limbs so I can have a good stringwalking bow. Dave Barnsdale is making them for me.

·
Registered
Avid archer with a flare for making every shot count
19 Posts
I have shoot a bow with fingers for a few years and yes I shoot a 2017 Hoyt Double XL with a glove or tab. @gumboman nailed; there are not alot of bows made for finger shooters. I have shoot long ATA Hoyt's for years and reluctantly went to the Double XL. It is great and very shootable with fingers.

For the record, I shoot a tab better than a glove. I find myself "over torqueing my fingers" with a glove

·
Premium Member
HOYT, Easton, Shrewd, Dead Center, Doinker, AAE, Shibuya, Beiter & Leupold ProGuide HD 10X42.
11 Posts
Nice response wa-prez. Believe it or not there are still some archers who prefer to use fingers rather than a mechanical release to shoot a bow. It is much more fun. Although there are very few bows made today that are long enough for the finger shooter, you can still find bows in the 40 inch plus range that will work fine for finger/sight shooters. Not so much for string walkers. Hoyt, Mathews, PSE and others offer those 40" bows that will work just fine for fingers. That is in my opinion however. I am getting an old Hoyt Prostar outfitted with new lower pound limbs so I can have a good stringwalking bow. Dave Barnsdale is making them for me.
My '95 Hoyt/USA ProStar (a beautiful turquoise anodized machined deflex compound riser) was the most accurate compound bow I have ever shot fingers with...
(I have always shot fingers (with finger tab) since I started archery over three and a half decades ago)...
Together we've opened the eyes of many release shooters at my local indoor archery range with the accuracy of the bow in conjunction with my finger tab release. Back then Hoyt always manufactured at least one compound bow per year for the dedicated finger shooter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts