Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today closes the book on my season.

Had a hard quartering to shot @ 22 yards and it was still a cake shot.... the Kobalt tuned like it is and me shooting like I do.
Thats the problem with over confidence :embara:

The shot was perfect as to trajectory...watched the arrow go as though it was laser guided.
Then,,,The deer ducked.
I saw every mve...as if it was slow motion:(

I have never seen a deer do this but she laid down in the same fashion that a cat would stretch out, with the tail up and the front legs pushing out...head out over the front legs.
She turned her head (left) over her front legs as she went down, so that her head blocked that part of the chest where the arrow was headed to.
The arrow centered her nose about 2" below and between her eyes

She made it to 45yrds, half falling and stumbling on her way out.
No shot
She did a few circles, while trying to break off the arrow and at 55 yards (no pin for that) she gave me an opening.
The next arrow narrowly missed low and never disturbed her.

She continued to sway badly and made it to a point that I have (years ago) once ranged at 110 yards.
Here she came to a stop and continued to work on the arrow.
I did a quick calculation and after figuring the hold over, I shot the last arrow.
It was as perfect an arrow as I have ever launched at anything but my distance (found out later) was off by 15 yards
The arrow cut the bottom of the chest...dumping a handful of hair and nothing more

She then made a staggering B line for the wood lot and I had to sit and watch her from nearly 200 yards out for the next ten minutes.
Last a saw, she was looking pretty sad

The blood trail wasn't an issue and I found her bed...but she was gone.
Not a drop of blood to be had on the surrounding snow.
Looked like she had laid there for perhaps an hour.

The only upside (maybe) is the fact that I was able to follow her tracks nearly 80 yards and found no more blood after the bed.

I was going back to get the dog and the sky opened up....ruining all the potential information that remained..... by the time I got back.
The fact is that this is a non-lethal hit and I wont find her dead....today anyway.
Hopefully, she will be able to survive the puncture wound

The back of the arrow was recovered and measured 18"
The forward section is stuck in the sternum (very likely) and has not been recovered.

I feel like crap.

The stand is coming down this summer and being re-located to an area where an approaching deer cannot present such a shot in the future.

I made 3 out of 4 shots that presented themselves to me (from this stand) in just the same manner (quartering to) but after having seen this.....I wont chance it again.

I am very concerned as to her ability to continue feeding with a lacerated tongue and this wound :zip:
The best that I can do is dump 50# of sweet feed (soft molasses oats) down through the area and hope that it helps her maintain her strength while this wound mends.
I know her area and she wont leave it.....so hopefully, if she is able....this high nutrition food will help her recover.

I dont know what else to do but I do know that I feel responsible and I will do what I can. :embara:

Feel like awful

The worst of it all? .... I took this shot only because I wanted a testimonial to my Gen2 lure :confused:
Thats all .... I just wanted to test it and show off the results if it worked.
In retrospect...I feel like a real ***** for having had so little concern for a deer in light of my own reasons for wanting to harvest it.

This isn't the reason I hunt.

I think I'll put on the rain gear and take a walk :(

·
Registered
835 Posts
it happens, sometimes they can react amazingly fast and theres nothin you could have done. At least your going to do something about it and try and help her out, most people wouldnt even care or at least just wouldnt do anything about it. Respect for the quarry we hunt is needed. heres to you:darkbeer:

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lucked out ~ I guess?

I took a walk across the properties that border mine...cutting a horizontal line that would intersect with her departure route.
Absolute luck! ... I saw her head come up from where she was bedded before I got to close.
I watched her for some time from only 40 yards away and she looked very good. :)

She was alert and didn't look woozy at all.

I could see the business end of the shaft sticking upward from her chest and I am very sure that the head has not penetrated the sternum :)
With what I saw (for length) it was stopped in the bone and can be pulled or broken off.
That of course isn't a small feat considering the condition of her nose :embara:

I cant shoot where she is...that is out of the question.

I will go back tomorrow morning and inspect the bed and go from there.

Just happy to see that she isn't dying or seemingly in a great deal of pain.
(Although I cant imagine how she wouldn't be :embara: )

Just wanted to report what I know now.
Maybe this story wont end so bad....maybe.

·
I like big buffs!
4,291 Posts
Ouch.

Quartering-to shots are always bad news with a bow. But you know (and knew) this. The pressure sounds like it got to you. That's when deer hunting becomes no fun-when you have to 'prove' something to people.

Hope ya get to finish her off; even if she doesn't appear to be in pain, you can bet she's going through a living hell....:cry:

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Well Butter ,

I'm not going to bash you , you've been man enough to own up to why you shot.

We are human, we do dumb stuff at times, we do good things at times and the only thing that we can do is own up to our mistakes. We ALL make them, none of us can lie and say we do not.

Pressure to succeed can make us do a lot of things we never thought we would do, especially in the heat of the moment.

I mean I've went through something similar, but only worse this year with a hunting partner. Greed and self pride can make us ugly creatures and put pressure on us to do things we would normally not do

Hope you find her and get a chance to finish, however seems as tough as animals are she might not be mortally wounded.

Now way to tell if she is in pain or not, so speculation on that is not correct.

Good luck

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So there is an arrow in here nose and chest?
She broke the arrow clean below her chin.
The fletch side I have and it measures 18.5"....so the rest (9.5") is out from her chest plate.

Hoping to be able to track her out of her bed tomorrow and get a finisher on her.
If not....I will do what I can.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ouch.

Quartering-to shots are always bad news with a bow. But you know (and knew) this. The pressure sounds like it got to you. That's when deer hunting becomes no fun-when you have to 'prove' something to people.

Hope ya get to finish her off; even if she doesn't appear to be in pain, you can bet she's going through a living hell....:cry:
Agreed.
Will do my best

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I made a similar mistake this year on a bull! my over confidence caused me to take a longer shot than was necessary. I took a shot at a distance I am easily capable when I could have easily gotten 15 yards closer. my arrogance told me you have made this shot hundreds of times so why bother getting closer.
Well one bad shot and 15 hours of tracking later I still couldn't find the biggest bull I could have ever taken!

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
You have now learned a quartering to shot is not a cake shot. Anytime an animal is looking your way things usually happen and not for the good.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have now learned a quartering to shot is not a cake shot. Anytime an animal is looking your way things usually happen and not for the good.
Actually I have learned the hard way.... by having been so successful in pulling it off for years.
I have taken more deer than I can easily count on this type of shot but now that I have had this happen...I will not give the opportunity for it to happen again :embara:

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you bring a gun?
No, no guns allowed...all the same, I did consider that course of action.
But ... In this instance, there are just too many opportunities for disaster...beyong the current disaster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts