Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I met a young gentleman at the Harrisburg Sport Show last winter and he was marketing a new bow. It at first looked like and Oneida, but on closer inspection it had no internal cams on the riser.
My first thought was this has to be a gimmick. ( Shame on me!!
I am the TURBO NOCK guy I better have an open mind on this bow) after his demo and explanation of what was going on I was extremely impressed.
His company is Discovery bows anyhow you can get to their website at www.discoverybowhunting.com

I just bought one for my brother in law and set it up today.
I cant find my camera or I would post a photo.
I have only shot it at 10yds so far but the smoothness of the draw and the smooth release and at 10yds I am breaking turbos. I did not even put a stabilizer on it. I was nailin nocks right handed and I am a devout lefty!!

There are no cams on this bow.( at least in the sense that we think of cams) It basically uses a two piece limb with a fulcrum.
the bow can be adjusted up and down in poundage around 30lbs
It can be set up to 90% let off and can be disassembled with two sticks , no bow press>
I will be ordering a lefty for myself.

Also at the Hbg show he dry fired his bow hundreds of times with no damage!! Go Figure!?!?!
:confused: :p :D

·
Registered
984 Posts
Interesting! Could you describe the noise level, in comparison to an average single cam bow? Also, how is the vibration on it?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This baby is quiet and smooth even without any stabilizers or vibrations dampeners.
I still have to give it a workout at distance.
there are no wheels spinning and slapping . It has the feel of a recurve.
I was shooting a bow that has a 30 inch draw , my brother in law is a big puppy . I have a a28 in draw. I was actually anchoring around the back of my ear and shooting right hand which is unnatural for me and still Shot well .

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I've got a Firebrand also. Had the Intensity, but now shoot the Colorado. I'm still fine tuning it. Like Nick Snook said, it is very different and has a nice draw and release. Smooth and no shock whatsoever. The pivoting limbs are really the equivalent of parallel limbs in action as they work straight up and down. The bow literally just thumps and stays right there at the shot. Pretty durn quiet and no, you don't need a stabilzer at all unless you want to change the balance. It's also one of the easiest bows to work on you can find. There is a pretty loyal following among owners of these bows and a nice kinship with the Oneida guys too. Recommend checking out their forums for tips as well. If Trevor would spend a bit more time polishing his quality, this would be a killer bow in my opinion.

Look in my photo pages to see some pics of the Intensity. I haven't had time to get photos of the Colorado yet, but they'll be coming soon.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Does this bow company not share a common ancestry with CP Oneida? I think I remember reading about some sort a split early on.

Scott

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
martin guy, beezaur...
Yes, and yes.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I love gadgets and would have one of these things if they were less expensive. Not saying that they aren't worth the money, don't know, but I am already very happy with my Martin Scepter so I don't need another compound bow.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well here is how I set it up for my Brother in law.
It is not the prettiest bow out there , but the engineering is outta da box and I am impressed enough with it to make it my third bow!
I agreed with the Boss that I would only keep three bows max in the house if I got back into Archery. This does not include my longbow collection and my Bear Teminjun.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I setup a Discovery for a fellow a few weeks ago. First time I had seen one also.

My findings were identical to Nick's but I'll add I think the draw length, weight, and let off range make this an IDEAL bow for an early teenage boy. He can shoot the bow through his teens with simple adjustments for his growth. As he muscles up he can crank up the weight and down the letoff.

IMO these are solid compound bows.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nick - those pictures you posted look like the Intensity not the Discovery. How much is the Colorado retailing for?

Eric

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nick - those pictures you posted look like the Intensity not the Discovery. How much is the Colorado retailing for?

Eric

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Actually, that is an Intensity. The Colorado retails at $600.

Don, you are absolutely right. This is a great bow for someone getting into the game and having the bow grow with him. There is so much latitude in how you can set it up that it's crazy along with decent speed, smooth draw, and being very quiet.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another fine point for a beginner, DRY FIRING does not seem to do any damage to this bow.
The first time I walked into their stand at the Harrisburg Show . They were demonstaiting the bow I was asking about the durability of the set up to the owner and he smiled at me Drew the darn bow back empty and let it rip . I just about jumped out of my sling ( I was still recovering from shoulder surgery) The guys at the stand got a bit of a laugh at my expense. I was really impressed.:cool:

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i loved my old screaming eagle and have been looking at these bows and wondering how they compared to the onieda's. nick send me a pm or email and fill me in if you have the time boss
rob k

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
rob, I'm curious how the Firebrands compare with Oneidas also. 20 plus years ago I saw one of them and liked the look of them, but never got into the sport back then. No dealers here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area either. Wonder if any members shoot one down here? If you get down this way anytime, I'd love to let you fling some arrows from my Colorado and chew the fat on some war stories.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe that Treveor Loomis is the owner of Discovery and that his Father was the owner of Oneida.
Hey ROBK
I am not an engineer or even an expert Archer. I left the sport back in the 60S and did not pay much attention to the compound saga as it developed. When this darn TURBO Idea popped into my head during an extreme fit of boredom is when I started noticing archery equipment again.
Any engineering knowledge I have came from being the son of an aeronautical engineer and pilot. I have flown in things as a kid you could not pay me to fly in today.
When I look at a bow , my first inspection is based on a saying my dad would always bring up about the Airforce ( He was a production controller for all piston aircraft in the airforce)"If there is a harder way to do it the Airforce will find it"
My approach to studying products is - Is this the easy way or the hard way to accomplish a goal.
Soooo AS a non expert out of the box inventor this is my unhumble opinion.

I see the entire development of the compound from its very beginnings, basically going in the direction of the old addage if there is a harder way to do it we have found it.
The cam on a bow improves leverage . The two piece limb on the discovery and the oneida also improve leverage and in my opinion in a more simple way.
Single cam , double cam, cam and a half , jim jam flim flam cam,
Bow presses , string twisting, tiller height. The processes you have to go through to set up a bow is a nightmare . I have spent the last two years teaching myself (with a lot of frustration) how to make these fussy cam shooting machines behave.

I looked at the Oneida several times at shows and was interested in the way they were using the two piece limb to get the leverage , I just could not fathom why they needed all the
cams and stuff on the riser, I am guessing there are over 100 moving parts on that bow. I am sure the oneida is a quality product and works quite well, but in my way of thinking this is the hard way to get a job done.
When I saw the discovery and how it simplified the whole process of delivering energy to the arrow I was intrigued.
Most every show I have attended since Harrisburg I end up at Trevors booth picking his brain. He is a young puppy in his early 20s. I may not have this story totally correct but Trevor in talking
related to me that he was working on this simplified lever design and when he showed it to his dad, his dad basically said this does the job better than mine (the oneida) and thing progressed from there.

IN my opinion this Discovery does to compound bows what the compound did to the recurve. It certainly seems to be an improvement. When something gets the same job done , with less complexity it logically seems it would be better.
Again in my opinion My TURBO simplifies the fletching process by eliminating it altogether and adds mechanical stabilization to arrow flight. So you get more stability with less variables.

This young man is looking at things and thinking in pretty much the same way as I do, except my brain took forty years to figure out the problem.
I gave the bow to my brother in law last night, but will be doing some more testing of it at his farm in Bethel Pa, which is only a few minutes from the new Cabelas store. HMMMMMMMM???

Anyhow ROBK to answer what ever your question was.
I think the Discovery gets the same job done as the oneida, or for that fact any other compound in a much more simple way.
I can tear this bow down in the woods by using two small pieces of tree limbs. WOW!!!
How it stacks up in accuracy I can not say at this time , but my first shooting in my barn I was shooting right handed, with a 30 inch draw, anchoring in space behind my ear. I am a lefty with a 28 inch draw. And I was trashing my TURBOS.
;)

·
Banned
6,017 Posts
The Oneida doesnt have anymore moving parts then a regular wheely bow..however here is why the Oneida is better over the discovery line...*the cams...they deliver more pwr and speed over the discovery line hands down...I have been talking to alot of people within the last few months and no one is getting the speed promised..also when you crank the bow up to a good hunting poundage the bow becomes louder....also if you start to lower the arrow weight to gain speed the bow will become louder (as with any bow) also there are reports on problems with the hinges and cableing with the Intensey and the colorado...

When Claude Pollington purchased the (oneida co) he left them with the discovery product for good reasons...

I hope you have good luck with yours-many havent and have had long waits on warranty repair/parts and just ordering the bow in general..go to their web site and look at their message board..lots of problems and not many answers

jmo

mike Day

·
Registered
564 Posts
Mikie,
I understood that when Claude bought out Oneida, he thought he WAS getting the rights to the new design. I thought that was the reason why the new and old owners always seem to get into a shouting match whenever they are within sight of each other.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts