Archery Talk Forum banner

Firecat vs. Alien-X

1082 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  RxBowhunter
Both of these bows offer promising speed, light weight, and a good warranty. The specs are very similar. The firecat has a slightly longer ATA, and costs less. So what do you get for the extra money in the Rytera? I think I read that the Rytera has 5 layer limbs as opposed to 3 in the firecat. Do you guys feel that the alien is a higher quality bow overall? This is just my curiosity. I was interested in firecats, and now that I see the alien-x it has peeked my interest in it as well. Unfortunatley nobody local to me has a firecat in stock for me to compare the two.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7,807 Posts
Have not seen the Alien yet. But certainly have read plenty, etc.

Yes the big one is the upgraded limbs.

The cam systerm by all accounts is much smoother and sounds like quieter.

Looks..... The Alien really is cool looking.

· Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Alien...hands down!
Yeah, that seems to be the consensus, but I was looking for some reasons, beyond looks. I don't doubt there is an increase in quality, and I guess that if the cams are smoother and the limbs stronger that would be reason enough. Anyone out there shot both and can offer their opinions?

· Registered
5,465 Posts
I had a Firecat and just sold it to buy an Alien. The Firecat is a great bow and for the price is hard to beat. I think the biggest difference is the Hybrix Cam on the Alien is smoother on the draw, plus it is cool looking. Speed wise they are going to be very close, the Firecat may have the edge by just a little.

I would of definitely kept my Firecat if I could afford to have 2 bows but my pockets are not that deep. Overall both excellent bows for the price as with any of the Martin line.

· Registered
6,936 Posts
In another 3 weeks or so I'll be able to give you a side by side comparison once my Crackerized all black 60-70 lb Alien gets here! I have owned a 2008 Firecat for going on a month now & it's definately a sweet bow- there is no two ways about it!:thumbs_up

I love it -very fast,extremely smooth/quiet and has a very solid backwall. Mine sets itself apart from all the other Firecats as I have the only one that was custom made that has Barnsdale coreflex 5 layer maple wood grain limbs! It's sweet looking,do a search of recent threads and check out the pictures of mine if you want to see it ;)

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
FireCAT vs. Alien

They're pretty much the same bow, with the exception that the Alien might draw a touch smoother. I think most of the difference in price just has to do with all the extra machining they had to do to make the Alien riser look like that. You won't be disappointed with either...actually you can tweak the CAT cam so that it feels VERY similar to the new Hybrix cam on the Alien.

· Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think you really need to shoot both ,the alien x is the hottest bow on AT right now
Yeah, I know it's "hot", but I'm just wondering if I would be able to tell the difference between the two with my eyes closed. I am looking to buy a new bow, but I plan on keeping it for at least 5 years. I really don't care about the looks too much, both the firecat and alien look decent compared to what I'm used to shooting. Anyway I am getting some good feedback. I think it does sound like there are slightly nicer cams in the alien, but most of what you are paying for is the stronger limbs and increased machining.

· Premium Member
17,591 Posts
I agree with the above statements.

I owned an '08 Firecat and sold it to make room for an '09 model bow. I chose the Alien-X to shoot this year. I was very happy with my Firecat.

The main difference between the bows for me is the draw curve. The Firecat has a "hump" toward the end of the draw at longer DL's (29.5 and 30"). It didn't bother me me and wasn't severe. Just noticable and I quickly got used to it. The Alien-X is buttery smooth on the draw!
They both have rock solid back walls.
They both are very quiet.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......I personally really like the looks of the Firecat but the Alien-X is sweet in the looks department!:thumbs_up

So two main differences are the draw curve and looks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.