Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been bow hunting for 15 years and I will be going to my first 3-D shoot this weekend. I think I'm a pretty good shot (I can hit about a 3inch circle from 10 to 40 yrds), but is that going to be good enough. I guess we will be going out in groups of 4 and I guess I'm just a little nervous. Any helpful advise out there or does anyone know how they keep score? Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rob,

Yeah...have fun! Most use Mckenzie targets and the vitals are marked. Bring binocs (usually no rangefinders!) to see the scoring rings because they may not be exactly where you would think would be a perfect kill. Usually scored 10, 8, 5. Hooves & horns, zero. Some clubs offer doe 'tags' and will set up shots with a buck surrounded or blocked by a doe. Hit the doe w/o tag -5, w/tag +5. They may also offer mulligans. These are a 'do-over' in case of a poor shot. You take the mulligan score even if it is worse! Mulligans and doe tags are usually $1 or $2 and are just for fun, club fundraisers. Be sure you fill out your card in the correct class, ie, BHFS (Bowhunter Freestye) if you shoot fixed pins w/release, or if in a finger class, moveable sight class or whatever.
Just have fun and enjoy the day. It is great practice for hunting, might meet a new hunting buddy. If you see someone you know, join the group. Otherwise just relax and have fun. We always have new guys in/out of our groups.

·
Registered
292 Posts
BobM pretty much covered it. 1 thing I might second is bring bino's, the scoring areas are not usualy where you would go for a heart shot. On some of them what you would consider a perfect hunting shot will score a 5 (ie wound). Ok to ask for advise on where scoring rings are just not yardage. After shot, as walking to target if you want to compare your yardage estimate with others in group please wisper and dont be offended if noone wants to discuss this. Comments like " It aint that far" are ok but actual distance estimations should only be discussed after all in your group have shot and quietly (so those behind cant hear) with any in your group that may want to discuss this. Usualy 1 or 2 people score, if you score thats your job, if not take your turn pulling arrows. If one person wants to call score and pull ok but its hard work. Its courtious for all not keeping score to go up to target to help pull or look for misses. Show the club where you shoot support by utilizing refreshment stands and such. A 42 target shoot is an expensive investment for the club. If you want to really help stick around after shoot to help gather up targets and get them put away. This is always appreciated.
You will have fun, meet new people and improve your estimation skills. Hope to have you in a group with me one of theese days.

BobM, I see from your post socal. Where ya shooing this weekend, might see you there.

Have fun
Jeff

·
74,535 Posts
Be carefull

I went on my first about 18some odd years ago and still go ever year. Its very addictive. Just try to know yardage, it can fool you at times. Binos a must. Im sure guys in your group will help. 3D a great way to tune your skills. Good luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I said I shoot 3 inch circle groups from 10 to 40 yds I ment I shoot a group about the size of an orange. I started thinking after I made my post that a 3 inch circle is probably the size of a 50 cent piece. Just didn't want anyone thinking that I thought I was that good. Thanks for the info. Can't wait til Sunday. I'll let you all know how it went.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
if you can group the size of an orange youll be fine...that said the most tricky part about 3-d is the unknown yardage. you have to figure the yardage pretty close to score well, but if its your first one just have FUN! thats the main thing, you will improve your yardage judging by leaps and bounds by shooting 3-d. it will improve your hunting and add another way to have fun w/ your bow. good luck and shoot straight. easton94

1 - 7 of 7 Posts