Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, "a friend of mine" shot his first archery buck on opening day Saturday for our local archery season in the A zone in CA. He hit the buck quartering and got a pass through, although his nock stayed in the exit wound which made him think it wasn't a pass through until he found his nockless arrow on the kill site. The deer limped a few feet after impact and then slowly walked away. 20 minutes was waited before going to the kill and finding bright red blood and a piece of bone(think the shoulder was broken the way he was limping) in the initial trail. An hour was waited thereafter and the blood trail started small and got bigger with puddles every 30-50 yards where he was stopping. The blood trail went though poison oak...he went through it knowing he is susceptible anyway. The buck crossed a property line some 200 yards from the kill, the neighbors had relations so he went through but the buck crossed another property line another hundred yards away. "My friend" thought he heard a crash earlier and he went over this fence line(he was now trespassing at night time) because he wanted to get in and out of there quickly and quietly. The last puddle found was the biggest by far and had a line pointed down this really steep gorge, all within spitting distance of what he realized was an indoor pot farming building. He left and came back the next morning to speak with the neighbors to no avail. The property gate locked with no call box, none of the neighbors had relations with these guys and "my friend" was strongly advised by the property owner(where he was hunting from) to "forget about it!" "No one goes over there!"

"My friend" would have called a game warden to have them help communicate with the property owners of where the buck went if it were not for the circumstances of the property. My friend did not want anything to do with any type of involvement with law enforcement and pot farmers combined and chose to let it go.

Now three days later my friend is getting some poison oak rash. He washed in technu really well so the rash is way smaller than it would be otherwise. My friend washed his Hoyt, carbon element in technu last night and he has it in the sunlight for the time being. Has anyone washed poison oak off of their bow this way? Did you wash or replace your string? Have you or a friend of yours ever lost a buck because the property he went on to was like this?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Wow... Thats just so different from anything ive ever know that I dont even know what to say!

A buddy lost a Boonie to a jerk neighbor many years ago in Iowa. Its worth everything to be in good with your neighbors! Boy, im sure glad I dont have "those" kind of neighbors!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
If I knew there was that type of operation in my area you better believe there would be a notification being sent to law enforcement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe that it would be ones right to report it. Although, in this area that kind of thing is very common and it is not exactly illegal nor legal either so it is a very, very awkward situation indeed. He also trespassed to learn this...

Because this is a hunting forum and not a political debate forum I shall refrain from expressing my opinion about what I would have done.

Mind you if the guy reported it, he would have gone against the demand of the land owner(where he was hunting). That would have wrecked their relationship. I do not envy the position that this guy is in that is for sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would have wrecked their relationship.
Don't sound like there was much relationship to wreck LOL
You would not say that someone letting you hunt on their property is much of a relationship? Out here in CA, hunting privileges on private property is like gold. They have known each other many years and I think the land owner was trying to protect his friend and his neighbors at the same time.

I think that it is a very sad story personally, very tragic indeed. The guy says he will never hunt that property again but I don't think he is going to sever their friendship over it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I think that is an acceptable way to wash poison oak off a bow, it should be fine. I would have tried harder to get permission from the pot farmers if I wanted my buck. So what if they are growing weed, I am sure it is legal in CA.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Tough loss on your first archery buck. Uh.. I mean "your friends" first archery buck.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I would've tried to get in contact with the property owners. Worse that can happen is they say no, and that's the end of it.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,824 Posts
Sometimes its best to let the dog sleep.
Thats what I think. I've been held at gunpoint twice on pot operations when following my hog dogs that had chased pigs into them- but this was 25+ years ago when the pot operations were much more hostile in Ca as CAMP was using helos and such to raid them- not anymore. Let it go...its not worth a deer.

There is so much bad info out there on poison oak. Best thing is to wash it off asap if you come in contact....even just in a stream with plain water works. Soap and water works great. Once you get it, it has to run its course- about 2 weeks of serious itching. There is a prescription that works well to calm the itch. Washing with clorox or caustic stuff is a bad idea....and no better than soap and water.

Using latex gloves on pigs and deer in Ca is a good idea as they are wading through that stuff constantly. BTW, having flea and tick spray along is a good idea too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dawn dish soap works Better than anything I have tried for poison ivy and oak. Scrub down with a wash cloth and you are good. Have your friend YouTube it.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Wash everything two or three times with Dawn dish soap and it will be fine. Every since I started scrubbing down with a wash cloth and dawn after hanging stands/scouting I haven't gotten poison ivy/oak and I would normally get it once a year. Youtube the video, what I have learned from it has saved me a few times.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The deer may have been pushed after checking the kill 20 minutes after, I don't know. An hour was waited after that but maybe it was not long enough.

The thing is with the farmers is that there was no way to get ahold of them without hopping the fence and trespassing first. None of the neighbors had relations. Weather or not their grow is legal has nothing to do with weather or not they would exercise their right to shoot someone on their property without asking questions first...

Also, just because it is CA it does not mean this was a legal operation(most are not), there could have also been a meth lab or a huge cash of guns. Not everyone in CA is a pachouli oiled hippy who just grows weed.

Search the Internet and you will find countless articles about pot growers shooting people on their property in CA, shooting law enforcement. It happens all the time.

This situation really sucks but I am not giving my friend a hard time about his decision, it may have saved human lives.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
In Florida you just call the Warden and he will help you recover your deer no matter the property boundary.
Wow... Thats just so different from anything ive ever know that I dont even know what to say!

A buddy lost a Boonie to a jerk neighbor many years ago in Iowa. Its worth everything to be in good with your neighbors! Boy, im sure glad I dont have "those" kind of neighbors!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts