Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The story behind him is pretty funny..

Got in the stand at 1:30 saturday afternoon after driving 2 and half hours to get there..

About an hour in the stand a few does trickle in the cut bean field to the southwest of me.I see two bucks checking them.. This guy and a real nice 8 pointer.. I hit the can to no avail due to the fact that they are over 250 yards from me.. I then have 10 Does and yearlings trickle into a field to the right of me and they are feeding on some standing beans and just playing around.. This goes on for about 2 hours. The start to meander towards my stand and I figure I am going to harvest a mature Doe for the table.. I hit the small can 3 times and the mature doe comes in on a string.. I drew on her 3 times and couldnt get a shot. Finally at 5:15 she presents a shot and I draw and release twang off a branch I didnt see..
So now I am hot and I knock another arrow and sit down.. At 5:30 I am thinking how I am going to get out of my tree without spooking the 35 Deer in the field next to my stand.I just happen to look up and her he comes sneaking down the hedgerow next to me.. I grabbed my bow and stood up for the shot.. I waited until he was standing broadside.I drew and released.The arrow felt good and I hit him right behind the shoulder a little high.. He dropped right there.. Obviously a spine hit.. I waited an hour before I got down and proceeded to field dress him..

He isnt a Pope and Young but he is a trophy in my book.. Especially when its my first Buck with a bow after 13 years of archery hunting..

I have taken 10 Bucks with a gun but none of them felt as rewarding as this one..

31 yards
Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade
Vital Bowgear Gladiator Arrow
Hoyt Pro Tec xt 2000
64 lb draw weight.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
congrats

wow, its nice to take that first bowkill, after 13 years that rewarding!! now be ready you will start taking bucks every year! :) Congrats on your trophy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts