Archery Talk Forum banner

First Archery Deer!!! Sad story.

2033 Views 34 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  bsites9
::cry::mad:

So. I did it! Talk about mixed emotions. I'll try to keep this short. I was "passive attack", like still hunting, a thick creek bottom on the PA opener "yesterday". It got daylight out at about 7 am. I was sneakin along and had a doe coming my way at about 7:30! It all happened soooo fast! She got to about 30 yards in an opening. I was on a knee under a white pine tree. I drew, and took the shot! It looked GREAT! I didnt get a full pass through, but close. Even though I thought this shot was near perfect, I decided to give her a little time since I didnt see/hear her go down. So after the LONGEST 30 minutes of my life, I went and got on her trail instantly. She went down the creek for about 15 yards, then she cut a left and went towards a lease road :sad:. I had heard some random traffic up there already, but they were all hunters goin farther up the hollow. Well, I found where she crossed the road, which was only about another 80 yards from the creek. There was a steep bank on the other side of the road, and I knew with the amount of blood she lost, she wouldnt have made it up it. Well, I was right! I got there and........

I HAD A GUT PILE!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::cry::cry::cry:

I couldn't believe it! There was half a gut pile "they left the heart/lungs in it". And they also left my arrow there. It was only 5 yards off the road! So the deer made it a total 100 yards, and I still lost her :cry:. It made me sick, literally. :pukey:

So, that KILLED my confidence. It didnt help that after what happened finally hit me, I decided to keep huntin... well, I went allllll day without seeing as much as an ear flicker. It just seemed all perfect, and someone ruined it for me. With our extremely low deer population here and high poaching numbers, finding deer at all is hard. I really hope I get another chance at atleast a doe this year :embara:.

So, I guess I kinda got my 1st archery deer? It doesn't really "feel" real though. I had to touch, feel, and taste it to really believe it. So I didnt get the reward I deserved. I sure hope I get another chance.

Sorry for the vent everyone, but thank you for reading.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Thats just wrong--Karma will get them!!! Don't you worry, they will get sick from that deer meat! You just keep your head up and hunt hard! It will all fall into place!

· Banned
1,157 Posts
I know we have been told countless and countless time to give them 30 minutes. But, if you make a solid shot, 5 min is enough time to wait before you follow. I don't know who wrote 30 min. rule in stone but they are wrong. After 5 min. you find a deer or you follow a blood trail and more than likely a lost deer. Gut shots not included. Always exceptions to the rule though.

What state do you hunt that has such a shortage of deer?

· Registered
4,250 Posts
These stories bother me so much!

As a serious hunter who is proud of what he does, I encounter (like you all do I am sure) people who always ask, "What do you do with the deer?" I usually respond, puzzled, and say something like "Well, if I don't butcher it up myself I pay for the butchering. What else would I do?" and the response usually is "Oh, well, at least you eat the deer you kill and not just leave them there."

THIS ALWAYS MAKES ME ANGRY! I always say "I have been hunting deer since I was 13 years old. I have surrounded myself with other hunters my whole life, and I still have never met a person who I knew did that! If you read about a person who is 'poaching' deer and killing them and leaving them there, then it is a very rare instance, and that serious criminal should not reflect any of that upon me as a hunter." I still don't know anyone who kills deer and leaves them there, BUT IT IS IN THE PAPER AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR, AND THEN EVERYONE THINKS THAT IS WHAT A HUNTER DOES!

THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I FEEL ABOUT YOUR STORY!!
WHO DOES THAT??!?!?!!?!? WHO WALKS UP ON ANOTHER PERSON'S KILL AND TAKES IT!!!!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!
WHY? WHY? WHAT DO THEY GET OUT IT?!?! ARE THESE THE PEOPLE WHO REPRESENT US?!? I CAN'T EVEN BELIEVE THAT A HUNTER WOULD DO THAT TO ANOTHER HUNTER. SORRY, BUT THAT JUST ABOUT BEATS ALL!!

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not the entire state, but I hunt in NW PA on the NY border. Numbers have been steadily decreasing for about 10 years now. But on the other hand, SW PA on the OH border has some of the best hunting within hundreds of miles. Where I hunt the primary food is Apples. There are also some acorns and beech nuts. But, you can go to an apple orchard with roughly 10 apple trees and see MANY apples on the ground, un-touched. Same with nuts. There just aren't enough deer to eat them. Hunting for days without seeing anything is fairly common. It is over pressured here, there are too many predators, and too much poaching. And no hunt-able private land any where close by. I hope I can connect though... Its not impossible.

· Registered
39 Posts
i don't care what your doin in life. you will always come across these kind of people. they just weren't raised right.thats just how it is. it would be nice to catch them in the act, but then of course they'd sue. just put it behind ya. you'll get another chance.

· Super Moderator
20,486 Posts
Get back out there and tag one. It's a shame that someone would stoop so low but there's always those people that take the easy road. Good luck.

· Registered
5,249 Posts
dude that sucks, i hate it for you. law of averages got ya man, one in three people suck...... like you said earlier hopefully they really needed the meat.

· Registered
2,662 Posts
Its not the entire state, but I hunt in NW PA on the NY border. Numbers have been steadily decreasing for about 10 years now. But on the other hand, SW PA on the OH border has some of the best hunting within hundreds of miles. Where I hunt the primary food is Apples. There are also some acorns and beech nuts. But, you can go to an apple orchard with roughly 10 apple trees and see MANY apples on the ground, un-touched. Same with nuts. There just aren't enough deer to eat them. Hunting for days without seeing anything is fairly common. It is over pressured here, there are too many predators, and too much poaching. And no hunt-able private land any where close by. I hope I can connect though... Its not impossible.
How far are you from Sayre PA? Im fairly close to the PA border there is some great state land up my way. Treman Park which is right next to my house is bowhunting only and there is a good number of deer in the area. If you could make the drive im sure the land would be worth your while I was in there last year tracking a deer I hit on my property that went on to the state land and found a ton of deer sign. And sorry to hear about your deer thats really sick someone would steal your deer like that :pukey:

· Classifieds Administrator
39,736 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Heartless people out there. If anything they should have waited there and when they seen you said here she is and helped you out.

So wrong but shows you what kind of losers are out there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.