Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve always had my local shop build my arrows, but have recently had the urge to do my own tuning, adjustments, and now arrows.

30X Pros, full length.
120 grain Accu-Point with 50 grain added weight.
Pin nocks.
4.18” Flex Fletch.

I squared both ends, and cleaned the shafts inside and out with acetone. Man! They are filthy!!!

I spent the time weight matching all components, and wound up with 6 complete arrows that range from 499.0 to 499.2 grains total weight.
The components were all over the place. Points varied over a full grain. Fact weights were within a half grain. Same with nock bushings. Shafts were up to 1.5 grains different.
Took some time, but the end products are about as Match-grade as I felt like pursuing.

Hot melt was my choice for the ends, as I may decide to shorten them up a bit. Setting up my Bitz wasn’t too bad, but there isn’t very much helical on the Vanes. Enough, I am certain, but not huge.

Anyway, beat me up at will. I’m pretty pleased with the result, and they spin true as all get out. No detectable wobble on my spinner.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Looks good to me, I'm same way about weighing everything and trying to get every arrow to weigh the same. I like the all black. Are they for 3-D? Some guys will skin you for that. They want a target to aim a, lol.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Congrats on taking the initiative to do it yourself.

I don't really believe that weight matching matters for heavy indoor arrows, but I do it anyway (right down to weighing individual fletchings).

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good to me, I'm same way about weighing everything and trying to get every arrow to weigh the same. I like the all black. Are they for 3-D? Some guys will skin you for that. They want a target to aim a, lol.
I will get that last .2 grains of balance with how many coats of black sharpie I put on the nock bushings... LoL.

90% intended for indoor use, but I’m sure I’ll use this setup for the occasional outside game with my buddies. We shoot a lot of dart games with a 30” dartboard target face, and arrow hunting can definitely come into play... Not much wind where I live, and I use a rangefinder...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just hope the FF vanes stay stuck well. Ive heard complaints about their adhesion, so I tried to be thorough. I scuffed the vane based with 200 grit paper, and cleaned all surfaces with acetone before I super glued them together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts