Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well My season is over, a thought it was over two times prior one wrist injury and the second not getting a deer tag. Well I didnt want to wait another year and I got a spike/cow elk tag.

I went out wednesday with a friend, and we saw a heard of el bugling and feeding on the far side of a ridge, unfortunatley my release fell out of my pack in the car. We snuck out late that evening and went back to the car to get the release. That next morning the herd had fed to the slope we were on. We wanted to get into the tree line but a mature bull was feeding in the open, luckily we didnt get busted. We snuck in below him to where the cows where, and heard the bull snorting above us, a couple cow calls made him stay put. we set up in a spot and started calling, a spike came crashing through the brush, unfortunatley I had no shot at him from that angle,but I was shaking so Bad. He walked off, after he saw no elk and was concerned about movment I made to draw my Bow. We Jumped down tha ravine a couple hundred Yards, and called in another spike, he did not present a shot as I was stuck in the middle of an open rock cliff with little cover, he got to 15 yards, agian I was shaking. We ate lunch and cow called over a rock cliff. we heard a herd below us and slowley walked through the woods calling. We were chasing a spike when we a heard a cow behind us. We wanted to run to the otherside of the opening but she was there, My buddy told me to draw back, I held for a minute or more and she poked her head over a little rock cliff. Then she came all the way over. I took a poor shot selection with a quarting away shot. And only got one lung, we found her bedded down and I finished her off. I was very happy to get my first elk and what an exciting hunt it was. I learned alot from that shot. I will not ever take that shot agian causes the feeling I had when I thought I had lost her due to a bad shot placment was not one I ever want agian.

After the shot we were waiting for an hour and bugled in a bull in. He came up over the clearing as mad as he could be, we were in a tree with face nets and full camo. I got my camera out and snapped some shots as he bugled and came in, I also snapped a 2 minute video of a cow call bringing him to 6 yards . where You saw him trying to sniff us out. I spooked him moving the camera and a cow call flipped him side ways. After he walked off we bugled agian and I got him chuckiling and peeing on himself, but accidently erased that to get pictures of my cow.

So we went to pack this thing out, and misplaced all our gear including our bows and half the elk. We got lost in the woods, taking the first half up to the top of the ridge. We searched for an hour and thought it was pointless. So I came back with a search party and dropped straight into the stuff, and we had a great pack out.

It was a wonderful trip. I learned alot about shot placment, saftey, and calling in elk. I had a blast and cant wait till next year. Meat is at the processor and Pictures will be coming.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we got pictures

1st is a pic of my cow, shell make for some good eaten

the second is a cool pic with bow in foreground and nice bugling bull in background. which looks alot better at full size

What a hunt to rember

Attachments

·
Primum Non Nocere
6,439 Posts
That video is awesome. Thanks for putting it up. Our season opens tomorrow and I will be out in my blind trying to arrow a deer in the am. I might elk hunt on Monday. I am glad it is finally here!!! Congrats on your cow...

·
Registered
410 Posts
That is a nice video. He was very interested in your calling. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Congrats on your first elk!!!!

Solunds like a great trip and great memories!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Sound like some memories were made!!!

Really cool video, a few friends are in CO. right now elk hunting, I had work commitments but a bull coming in like that, they'd be messing their pants!!!!

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS on your 1st elk and that video footage of the Bull coming in is great!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts