Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Im new to this firum and to the sport. I have never hunted, but have always wanted to give it a shot. I'm going with some friends on a boar hunt in March and need to pick up a bow. Its on private land, and although everyone else is taking a rifle, I think Id rather try my hand at archery. Im a police Officer, so am very comfortable with all types of firearms, but think Ill be more satisfied if I take my boar the hard way lol. I've been looking at bows and really am interested in an assasin, but being as how its my first bow, I dont want to spend a ton of money jus in case I decide its not for me. I have my eye on the Diamond Outlaw ($499) but will still need a release, arrows, broadheads etc. I also have a line on a 2010 sniper, with accessories and arrows that I may be able to pick up for $425. Ill just need it set up. Im not sure how I feel about buying used, because I dont really know what to look for in terms of issues. Any input would be greatly appreciated., Thx!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also wanted to add that Im in no way planning on being ill-prepared for this hunt. I have many hunters in my family and know that taking a bad shot on a live animal is wrong. My plan is to practice as much as possible over the next month and if Im not confident that I can use the bow successfully, then Ill be taking a long gun. Ive shot bows as a child (my grandparents were both competitive archers) so Im not completely unfamiliar with a bow. But its been a long time lol.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Shoot them from all positions. Also draw and do a few let downs. Some bows are harsher than others in the draw and let down. As far as used check limbs for cracks. And look for signs of abuse.

·
Registered
17,820 Posts
do you have a pro shop close by? go there and get professional help, plenty of good rigs you can buy that are not pricey brand new. pse has some really nice rigs that are ready to shoot out of the box and are affordable.

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
:welcome:

Get in the classifieds here on AT. If you have shot the Assasin or Outlaw, you can find one on here decked out ready to hunt and save a few bucks. Alot of good honest archers here that would be glad to help ya out.

BTW, welcome to AT.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Fist off your going in March?? Kind of cutting it close if you have never shot a bow much. I would HIGHLY reccomend going to a pro shop, shooting fire arms and shooting a bow are a little bit different.
Especially since your going to hunt something that has the tendency to bite back! LOL!!!
Good Luck!!!
Let us know how it goes!!! LOL!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Whoops I didn't read your second post.
Pro shop, Practice daily, tune your broadheads you'll be good. Remember hogs can't climb trees. Things get a lilttle dicey you only need to be about five feet up!!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ill be more satisfied if I take my boar the hard way lol.
The shot angle will be more critical than what bow you use. If it were me I would use a Razor Trick broadheadd for the best penetration.

Wait for a quartering away shot. If you are hunting over corn, once he gets to the bait, you have plenty of time.

If he's going to bust you, he will way before he gets to the corn.

Watch this, it should help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnALZHL9vvU&list=UUBxuqdnfZCm9L-d3pkoTFjg&index=20&feature=plcp

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
Any imput on buying the new Diamond vs a higher end used bow?
Diamond makes a great bow. Shoot it, if it fits you well and your comfortable with it.... buy it.

Higher end bows just cost more for the most part, they wont kill any faster than other bows.

·
It's in da hole!
1,676 Posts
If you have a pro shop near you they might have some used bows and you can get the best of both worlds. That is professional help and a bow priced right.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update, Ive found a NIB sniper for $479, but its not local so theres no way for me to test it. They've also offered to give me acessories for 25% off. Seems like a good deal. I think I could get everything (12 pse sniper arrows, muzzy broadheads, and a release for $600 shipped. Again, the downside is that there's not a sniper local for me to shoot. The diamond is local, but will end up being more when all is said and done. Also What should I expect to pay a shop to setup the bow for me? Input? Thx!

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
Hey, Im new to this firum and to the sport. I have never hunted, but have always wanted to give it a shot. I'm going with some friends on a boar hunt in March and need to pick up a bow. Its on private land, and although everyone else is taking a rifle, I think Id rather try my hand at archery. Im a police Officer, so am very comfortable with all types of firearms, but think Ill be more satisfied if I take my boar the hard way lol. I've been looking at bows and really am interested in an assasin, but being as how its my first bow, I dont want to spend a ton of money jus in case I decide its not for me. I have my eye on the Diamond Outlaw ($499) but will still need a release, arrows, broadheads etc. I also have a line on a 2010 sniper, with accessories and arrows that I may be able to pick up for $425. Ill just need it set up. Im not sure how I feel about buying used, because I dont really know what to look for in terms of issues. Any input would be greatly appreciated., Thx!
look at the pse brute x, .... were are you located... im retired leo

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If you buy a bow at a shop they should set it up at no charge. That's the normal practice in my area.

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
Shop will charge between 50 & 70 dollars for set up f not bought from them.

If you dont shoot the bow before buying it, dont come here complaining if your not comfortable shooting it.

95% of the members here will urge you to shoot the bow first...... just my 2 cents

1 - 17 of 17 Posts