Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my first bow buck. 3.5 year old 9 point. 35 yard shot, 110 yard recovery, zero blood trail. 550 grain arrow, iron will s125. Shot felt good, thought the impact was a little high compared to where I was aiming. I was a little discouraged when he ran off with the arrow still in him. Upon finding him, the arrow broke inside him, with about 7 inches left on the nock end. Broadhead had passed all the way though diagonally and came out in front of opposite hindquarter. When I shot him I thought he was mostly broadside, but after seeing entry and exit I assumed he was quartering a bit and rolled towards me during the shot. When I processed him, I found 2 broadhead holes in the scapula, including the ridge. So maybe we was mostly broadside and arrow deflected? Either way I'm happy. Went through scapula twice, cut a rib, and the broadhead end of the arrow passed through and I never found it. Everything inside the body cavity was absolutely shredded.
Live weight: 165lb
Gutted weight: 130lb
Skinned/head removed: 107lb
Packaged meat in the freezer: 80lb

Edit: posted in the wrong forum on accident. Can't figure out how to move it.

Plant Hunting Deer hunting Vertebrate Trophy hunting

Head Plant Eye Fawn Terrestrial animal

Food Animal product Ingredient Pork Red meat

Food Human body Jaw Neck Animal product

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Was that the shoulder on the entry side? And it was quartering toward you? That would make sense if it redirected or the arrow changed paths as he moved or both.........Glad you got him.
Yeah that's the entry shoulder. When I shot I would have swore he was broadside. Thinking back over it I think he may have spun towards me into the arrow, and/or he was quartering a bit and I didn't realize it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
nice track job, Congrats!
Thanks. Luckily the brush wasn't very thick and I saw the direction he ran. It didn't take long at all to find him, and he didn't change direction. I think he did one sprint and fell over. Afterwards I went back looking for my broadhead and found 1 drop of blood on a leaf, no blood otherwise.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Congratulations on your first of many. Nice looking buck. The reason for the long bloodless tracking job may have been due to a high hit and possibly a one lung hit. Look at this video at the 2:10 mark and you will see what I'm talking about. The entry may have been just over the left lung.
Yep I knew there wouldn't be much blood because of the high entry. Exit hole the hide slipped over the fat and plugged it up as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts