Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter turns 5 in February. She has been along with me on the 3D course.This fall I had the opportunity to take out to the stand with me. So naturally I’m starting to think about getting a bow in her hands. I am thinking not this birthday but the next. I am seeking opinions what to start her with? Is it better to start with the Mission type that would grow with her to hunting age or something more like Genesis type that would require another purchase to set her up for live targets. I wonder what draw weight is reasonable to think a 6 year old girl would pull? Thoughts welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My daughter is 4, will turn 5 in March and I got her one for Christmas. We shot about every bow around here and I settled on a Bear Cruzer Lite. It goes from 5-45# and I think it is like a 12-27” DL (not positive on that). Right now I have it set at 17” draw and 12#. The bows mass weight is a little heavy for her but she still shoots it no problem. I just hold the top limb up a lil while she shoots. I would say within a few months she will be shooting on her on. She is the biggest kid in her class tho and pretty determined to shoot bc she watches me so much. I liked the Bear bc although it is probably a lil big for her at this point, she could technically use this bow forever. Plus, you can get it in pink or purple which was a huge plus for her lol. I got hers from a guy on eBay selling them for $200 and he includes 6 carbon arrows also. The bow also comes with a quiver, trophy ridge whisker biscuit and sight. I cut the arrows down and added the pink quickfletch wrap/vanes. They were easy to do and are holding up really well. If your interested I can send you the eBay link. The guy still has some for sale.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Respect her feeling! Time wil tell if she`s willing to stick arrows in targets or animals and it`s possible, she don`t like both!!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
My son is 3 and a half. I got him a diamond atomic for Christmas. 6-29 lbs and 12-24 dl. It doesn't go as high on dw as the pse mini burner or the bear, but the mass weight is less. I have the benefit I have a pse chaos when he out grows it to put him in with 40lb max dw. But the atomic is pretty impressive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just bought my 7 yr old a Bear cruzer lite. It's a real bow and not a toy. Goes down to 7 lbs draw and up to 45lbs draw. Fantastic bow. Again it's not a toy bow which is good because they can grow with it. My son may use this bow til he's 12 or more. Check it out. I got it for $275 with the full hunt package which came with a WB and trophy sight and all the rest of the stuff.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Respect her feeling! Time wil tell if she`s willing to stick arrows in targets or animals and it`s possible, she don`t like both!!!
Good point. I will let her make the call. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
I bought my grandson a Diamond Atomic for Christmas from Eders for $180, he is 5. very well built and super easy to adjust no press required.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Both my kids started on mini genesis. Very easy for the to shoot. They are lightweight and you can add accessories as you see fit. First rule is find a bow that makes it fun then step from there. Also the mini genesis will always be in demand so you should get most of your money back when you upgrade

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought my son a diamond atomic when he was 5 and has grown with it the last 3 years now. Fully adjustable no press needed. He loves it, light weight and well made.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
you won'nt get this answer from anyone else.

start her out with a recurve.
she'll learn the basics of archery.
loading an arrow, stance, release ec....
ballons for targets.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When my daughter turned 7 i got her the genisis mini. She is left eye dominant and it is difficult to find a lefty bow that small. If you order from their website you can customize most everything on them, which helps the kid feel more ownership. Plus, like someone else mentioned you can add on with accessories. What we did is add an accessory every so often to keep her interested. Now she goes rabbit hunting with her bow and is excited for joining a club in the spring to get ready for fall deer season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts