Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a bow to buy for my girlfriend. She has never shot a bow and I want to make it a surprise for when I buy her one. Since its her first bow and I don't know her draw length it has to be something easily adjustable. I think i have it narrowed to the mission hype dtx and the diamond edge sb-1 after looking around today. If you guys have any insight on these two bows on which one will be better please let me know because I cant decide. Also if any of you have one of these for sale I would be interested.

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Let me give you a little advice. First about bows as a guy who's sold thousand of them and then about women, as a happily married man who married well out of my league.

First, buying a bow for another person is a great gift. However, it's very difficult to buy one for them without their knowledge. Your intentions are good and it's an awesome gift but people are very different from one another. For instance, the mass weight of those two bows is pretty high for a beginner's bow. I know my wife would struggle with the mass weight of those two bows that you've listed. I know the Edge SB-1 is advertised at 3.6lbs but I've weighed them before and they weight more than that. The Hype is over 4lbs bare bow so it's even heavier. Long story short is that while your intentions are good, maybe it'd be better to have her help in picking it out.

Second, most women like to shop. Many women love the "going and trying" as much as the buying and owning. Most of us men like to research, figure out what we want and then go buy it. The ladies like to try before they buy. My suggestion would be to take her to the shop and make it all about her and let her try a couple out. It's okay to give her a price point that you want to stay around but this way the bow she gets is "her bow" top to bottom.

Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Let me give you a little advice. First about bows as a guy who's sold thousand of them and then about women, as a happily married man who married well out of my league.

First, buying a bow for another person is a great gift. However, it's very difficult to buy one for them without their knowledge. Your intentions are good and it's an awesome gift but people are very different from one another. For instance, the mass weight of those two bows is pretty high for a beginner's bow. I know my wife would struggle with the mass weight of those two bows that you've listed. I know the Edge SB-1 is advertised at 3.6lbs but I've weighed them before and they weight more than that. The Hype is over 4lbs bare bow so it's even heavier. Long story short is that while your intentions are good, maybe it'd be better to have her help in picking it out.

Second, most women like to shop. Many women love the "going and trying" as much as the buying and owning. Most of us men like to research, figure out what we want and then go buy it. The ladies like to try before they buy. My suggestion would be to take her to the shop and make it all about her and let her try a couple out. It's okay to give her a price point that you want to stay around but this way the bow she gets is "her bow" top to bottom.

Just my .02 cents.
I agree. My wife liked shopping for her bow. She ended up with the diamond. She shoots it very well. I’ve been a Mathews guy my whole life but as of now I own a infinite edge and a experience. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
What Huntinsker said. I have been married to the same woman for 31 years, he is right.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts

Just my .02 cents.

Been married 6 years now and this is totally correct.

Go with what Huntinsker said.

·
Registered
51,169 Posts
Great idea but DON'T do it!!!!!! If you want her to enjoy the sport the choice has to be her choice alone. Take her to several pro shops then YOU go find something else to do.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Advice from a woman:

You say "she has never shot a bow", not "she has expressed interest in" or "she said she wants to try it". I would make sure she is truly interested before you spend at least several hundred $$$ on something she might not even like to do.

Then, yes, as all of the others noted, it is best if she picks out her own. But, she should learn the preliminaries of shooting first and actually do some shooting so she knows it isn't about which one is the prettiest color. Also, she needs some knowledge depending on what type of shooting she wants to do.

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
I should also add, if/when you go to the shop with her to shoot the bows and get set up, take the back seat to the shop tech. Hopefully they'll know what they're doing and she'll be in good hands. This isn't the time to show off for her. Nothing is more annoying as a professional in an industry when you're being undermined by the show-off significant other that thinks they know what they're doing. It almost always makes what should be a good time into an awkward situation for your lady friend feeling like she's in the middle. If the tech is actually terrible, just let them do their thing and leave without buying at that time. Obviously let your girlfriend know the situation so she's not blindsided by it but don't try and "show up" the tech, even if they're bad.

·
Registered
984 Posts

Just my .02 cents.
X2. My wife was the same way. After going through enough bow shops as shoe stores we finally settled on Bowtech Eva Shockey and with all the fixin's we ended up just north of $1200.00 Good luck..

·
Registered
51,169 Posts
I should also add, if/when you go to the shop with her to shoot the bows and get set up, take the back seat to the shop tech. Hopefully they'll know what they're doing and she'll be in good hands. This isn't the time to show off for her. Nothing is more annoying as a professional in an industry when you're being undermined by the show-off significant other that thinks they know what they're doing. It almost always makes what should be a good time into an awkward situation for your lady friend feeling like she's in the middle. If the tech is actually terrible, just let them do their thing and leave without buying at that time. Obviously let your girlfriend know the situation so she's not blindsided by it but don't try and "show up" the tech, even if they're bad.
Echo this 100 times. We see it a lot where the other is butting in and in most cases giving bad advice, adding confusion. That is why I said take her to a pro shop or several and he go find something else to do.

·
Registered
354 Posts
When my girlfriend told me she wanted to start with archery I took her to 3 pro shops and let her shoot a bunch of bows to pick what she liked. She shot Mathews, Mission, hoyt, PSE and Bowtech and eventually picked a PSE Brute X because that is what felt best to her. I would agree with the guys above in saying that its a great idea to want to surprise her, but maybe that is best for flowers or something. let her decide what she wants and she will enjoy it much more. good luck!!

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
It’s been almost a year, dude. I’m pretty sure the issue is resolved, one way or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts