Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase my first bow. I have been looking at the Bowtech assassin RAK package which here on base I can purchase for $530.00. I am not someone who likes to buy things twice so I would like to do it right the first time. I have heard nothing but great things about this package. Now I could also purchase a brand new insanity for $799.00 on base here. My question is which would be the better route? Or would it be smart to purchase a slightly used carbon matrix? Does the assassin really compare with these other high end bows like I have heard or would it be smart to just spend more?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Shoot them all and buy the one that feels the best to you. Don't worry about the name on the bow just the one that feels right to you.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Well I agree with the Camel and hillbilly. Shoot the bows first if you can, I personally like Hoyt but I would say the smart thing is shoot the Bowtech and see if it works for you. If your buying it to hunt all bows in production will harvest any animal although I don't suggest a 40lb bow against a cape buffalo.

I assume by being the comment "on base" your in the military and you might not have a lot of bow shops near you but make sure if you get to one that you get someone to help make sure you have the correct draw length and help get your form. Remember the Native Americans shot more deer and buffalo with sticks and string than you and I will shoot in 4 life times so it is all about being comfortable with your gear and not labels or speed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think that , for me,, all my life I have gone the "Logical" route and then regretted it. You more than likely would not make a bad choice with the RAK. And rightly so, the RAK is a logical choice, Great bow, Great Price, Great company and being your first bow you might not be able to discern much difference between it and the next bow up the chain. Thats not a dig, but, just saying that, with experience comes your own personal taste and feel. So yes,, shoot them all

Having said that, if I were a salesman across a counter from you I would ask a couple questions.

Are you the kind of person that, once you take a plunge into something, goes balls to the wall in an effort to immerse yourself in it? If you are going to buy a home stereo system, would you soon outgrow the logical choice just based on your increased knowledge?

I have gotten into different things throughout my life and had my own drive to be good at everything propel me right to the top of whatever I get into. Check out my Ham radio Page at WWW.N7CAL.COM and you will see how that hobby has been taken to its "logical" end.

In other words, for you, can you settle for something when you know there is something better out there. I never could,, but good luck to you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I typically do not go the logical route. I believe in certain things you get what you pay for. I have a lot invested in guns and fishing equipment and I have a feeling archery is the same way. I would love to shoot all of the bows but the outdoor center is only a bowtech dealer. I am a sniper in the Army so I understand completely when you emphasize form and feel. I will go ahead and shoot the assassin and the insanity and I believe they have a last years destroyer there as well. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Exactly,, I gave up the logical route long ago. I am a firm believer in "You get what you pay for". I remember as a youngster finding out that what I could afford at the time wasnt what I wanted and that waiting, Something I was never good at, could pay off in the long run.

Have fun searching

1 - 7 of 7 Posts