Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from North Carolina. I have been interested in archery and bow hunting for 10 years or so. I had only ever attempted to kill a deer with my bow and that was last year on a decent 10 pointer. I shot it for a shorter distance than it actually was which resulted in a clean miss. I ended up taking that same deer in rifle season.
Anyway, here in NC bow season came in on 9-9-06. I had been shooting almost daily for 3-4 months getting ready to hopefully have a crack at a quality buck this season. I had prepped an area that I had never hunted before on some land that my family owns. I had set up a tree on a ridge overlooking a flat that ran to the side of a creek at the base of a big hill to use with my Buckshot climber and cut some shooting lanes.
Opening morning(Saturday) found me in stand 1.5 hours before light getting equipment setup. I got everything just right and got settled in for daylight. The fog was thick and rolled in and out all morning. I had not seen anything all morning except squirrels. It was 9:35 when I heard something. I looked and behind a tree at 15 yards was a deer. I thought it was a doe that was going to walk the trail right past my tree and up the ridge. Then the deer turned its head and I could see a beam. The deer took two more steps and was standing in the open broadside at 12 yards. I could tell the deer was a shooter in full velvet and probably larger than any deer I had ever killed. The deer at that point stopped. I was dressed from head to toe(literally) in scentlok. Big bucks just seem to have that sixth sense and can detect danger. He took a step back, turn and went back toward where he had come. I took this opportunity to reach for my bow haning on the bow hanger. I attempted to take my bow off the hanger and made a noise. The bucks stopped. I finally got the bow off the hanger, as the deer was heading for one of my shooting lanes. I stood and a button on my coat hit my stand and made a noise. At that point the 8 pointer(respectable and out of velvet) that was with the big velvet buck blew. The big buck turned to go back into the thicket that he had come from. I came to full draw and I grunted with my mouth and he stopped broadside. I settled my 20 yard pin on his vitals and touched the release. I heard the arrow hit the deer and 5 seconds later heard him crash. I waited 30 minutes and climbed down to find my arrow. I found my arrow covered in blood. At the end of a 40 yard blood trail, I found my buck. He ended up being a 10 pointer 17.5" inside spread in full velvet including a 5 inch drop tine sticking straight back from the base of his right antler. In further inspection of the deer, my arrow had deflected off a limb and hit my buck in the neck severing the jugular.
God rewarded me with a trophy of a lifetime in the form of a great full velvet buck. I know that killing a buck in velvet is rare and for me to have killed the biggest buck of my life to date and it be a full velvet from my home state of North Carolina is awesome! Some might call the deflection lucky, I chalk it up to that which God wanted to happen in the situation.
Thanks for reading my story. Best of luck to everyone this season.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world that is Archery Talk. Their are alot of very smart people here and you will learn a ton. I know I have. Great Buck.
Robbie

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks SCDEERSLAYER

i have been a junkie on/for archery talk for probably 4 months. Just never posted anything. Thanks for the congrats.
Kenneth

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
congrats

Nice buck, and great job. I cant wait until 9-30-06. That is PA's opening archery day. Im ready and pumped as always.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Sweet

Great buck, and an awesome first bow kill!!! I am guessing that you have the fever now....bow fever that is. Congrats!
Sam

·
74,535 Posts
Congradulations

Now that will look good on the wall.:wink:

Besure and add that to are picture thread and once again, excellant harvest.
DB

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

I Am Bit With The Bow Hunting Bug Now.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Congratulations ona awesome buck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
NC Bowhunters Records

Have you gotten a tape on the antlers yet? It looks to me like it might be big enough to make the North Carolina Bowhunters Records book. The minimum for a velvet buck is 120" and the all time largest for a velvet buck in NC is 134". Here is a link to their site http://www.ncbowhunter.com/ Congratulations!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great story & a great buck. Congrats!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Good Job and Great Buck!!! :thumbs_up

·
Registered
245 Posts
Awsome buck!I would love to shoot one in velvet someday!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Awesome first bowkill!

The hard part will be trying to outdo yourself on the next one!:wink:

Jim

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
Congrats Bass , from a fellow NC'er and :welcome: to AT

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow thats a great deer and an awesome story to go along with it! Congrats on the buck man..... and welcome to AT! Heath

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
great looking deer, congratualtions, you may forsake the rifle/shotgun now that you have experienced the bow thrill. good job.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts