Archery Talk Forum banner

First Bowhunt Saturday!!!!

404 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  HOYT3065
Well I'm leaving tomorrow for NY to go bowhunting for the first time. I haven't done any kind of hunting since I was about 14 and I'm 29 now...lol I can't wait to get back into the woods.
I have been totally consumed with the bow and getting ready for hunting again for the past two months. I've been at the range every chance I had practicing to be sure I make the shot if I get the chance. Not to mention I intend to shoot 3d this season.
I used to hunt with my father when I was younger, then once I got my license I got into drag racing and other hobbies. Then I got married and moved and when I was ready to get back into hunting I had no one to go with, and no where to go. Now we live close enough to my father in law for get in some hunting with him, so I bought the bow and I'm ready! Even when I used to hunt with my father it was always firearms so I'm stoked to get in the woods with the bow.
My camo is washing in scent eliminator as we speak. Now I just have to decide if I'm gonna shoot the strikers or the spitfires...lol
Here's a pic of the bow...
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,979 Posts
bit by the bug, eh? congrats on gettin out there. nice looking Powerhawk. How's she shoot?

as far as strikers, by a pack of three each if you haven't already. You should be able to get them close to hitting the same hole if you're shooting the same grain. Never hunted with mechanicals for big game but if I did, Spitfires would be on the top of my list. Also, depending on your available tags you could probably switch slightly in the season if need be. Just practice, practice, practice, and make sure you shoot your broadheads before hitting the field. For fixed blade heads, all of them get shot at least once at 40 yards once my bow has been tuned. From there I usually have 3 practice broadheads that are used to find the best of the best. From there, I screw in my hunting heads, shoot them once, and if it hits, form feels good, it goes on the quiver. And honestly, by midseason, most my heads have been at least 4 times to find my best arrow/broadhead combo. For mechanicals, i've tied dental floss around my blades to hold them tight during flight. Works with the grim reapers that i turkey hunt with.

The Rage looks like it also tears things up and with the Rocky Mountain Broadheads collaboration, you've got one fine broadhead.

Good luck this fall. Look forward to seeing your pics. And welcome to AT!

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Good luck, you might need some Nyquil or other "medicine" to get some sleep!:wink:

· have bow-will travel
3,997 Posts
I will be out there with you brother, THOUSANDS will be out, weather looks great, moon not so good.

My vote is to use the Spitfires, great heads, put deer down fast. If they both fly the same use the Spits for the closer, thicker cover, and the Strikers for the longer, more open cover shots.

· Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be in the schodack/ chatam area. We were out putting up a few stands 2 weeks ago and there were does everywhere. We also spotted a few early scrapes.. ELKhuntR, the powerhawk is a great shooting bow, but I've kinda already started looking for a 737. I like the longer bow, but the hawk is a great short bow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.