Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, DB put me in a hot spot. I met DB last year on realtree.com and he has helped me from turkey hunting, to target archery, to bowhunting. I haven't killed a deer with a bow, so I asked him if he would help me scout. I can shoot pretty good, but finding the deer is my downfall. DB took me to a PUBLIC hunting area and showed me a couple places to hang a stand. I hung a couple the next day. I hunted the one I thought would be best for opening evening (yesterday) and man I tell you what....I had to hunt long and hard....a whole 3 hours. I was wanting to shoot a doe and save the small bucks, but this little fork horn came out and started his way just like DB said they probably would. He came right down the trail infront of my stand where DB told me to clear a lane. That's when I knew I couldn't pass this deer up. I drew my bow as he stepped into my lane and I managed a voice grunt, stopping him perfect. I settled my pin (I rushed the shot, but I guess you have to learn from your mistakes) and released. It was off to the races. When he got back into the woods I did a little dance right there in my treestand all by myself. I hooted a little bit and shook a little. I had been wanting this for so long and it finally happened. I tracked last night and the blood was getting thin. I knew I shot high, so I thought I would wait 'till morning. I went back today to where I stopped and saw him laying 40 yards from where I stopped last night. The coyotes found him first and didn't leave me any meat, but I have a little fork-horn rack and a memory that will last a lifetime. It was so awesome.THANK YOU DANIEL BOONE!!!!!!!! YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! I should have pictures soon. Have to get them developed. Good hunting guys.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Congrats on your bow kill! Sucks that the coyotes beat you to it though. I've read a lot of DB's post's and he seems like a pretty neat guy. After this he is that much better in my eyes. It is awsome that he helped you so much. A mentor makes things soooooooooo much easier and enjoyable. Your right Daniel Boone is the man!

·
74,535 Posts
Main Thing

Ryan you have the passion I just pointed you and gave you some pointers. Many youngmen dont have the drive to go scout, and hunt.

Now you know the feeling, thats bad. Might be hunting addict.

Congradulations Ryan. Season young and I think this wont be your last bowkill for this season. One always remembers that first kill.

This makes 2003 season special to me already. Have fun and enjoy the outdoors as God intended us too.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Man what a great story,congrats on your first bowkill!!!!!!
You won't forget that one..
Thanks DB for caring about the "sport and preservation" of bowhunting and getting others involved....;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
congrats

CONGRATS on your first bowkill ,with a mentor like DB i'm sure you will enjoy more meat in the freezer.Db thats a great thing you did for him kudos to you we need more in the sport like you.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Congratulations on your First! To bad about the Yotes though.Mabey you will see one,and you can even the score.Ive only been here a short while,but from what i read from Danl Boone,you couldnt ask for a better mentor! Good Man Dan! Just remember when he gets to old,you have to take him hunting! LOL!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Congrats,you'll never forget

Congrats Ryan on your first Bow kill and to make it better ya have a rack to look at! my hats off to DB for taking the time to give ya the help he did. The world needs more teams like you guys !! awsome:D

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Congrats on your first bowkill there is no better feeling than that first one!

·
74,535 Posts
Thanks Highstander

Thats right when Im old they will be in there deerhunting prime. I might need a hunting spot. Always fun to see them get that first one. Ryan got that hunter in him. Now if I get him shooting 3d next year.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Congrats man, see DB i told you you were the man. Now come help me get one in range to shoot. Seeing them isnt the problem. Oh well it'll come sooner or later.
Good luck on the rest of your season.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Great story. Congrats and thanks for sharing it! Friend of mine got a nice 11 point last year and those pesky coyotes got his meat too. DB, you da man!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Congrats on your first bow kill... Still waiting on mine and I had my chance..... Let me tell you hunting from a ground blind is harder than you think.

This fork horn comes in and is about 20yds from me and I was extremely excited just to be able to draw on a deer... So that first shot I had it set and let it fly but I think first shot jitters got me and I jerked... didn't see where the arrow went, so gave it about a half hour and went to check and found no blood so I was worried, untill about an hour later he returns and this time he is exactly at 20 yards and broadside... now I draw again and release and he turns quick and the arrow goes parralel with him... uggggg this forkhorn is getting on my last nerve.. lol.... saw the arrow flight and it was true and where I aimed, just the deer was faster than me... lol... so to add insult to injury he returns about an hour and half later... gives me another broadside opportunity and this time he ducks the string and the arrow just misses over the top of his spine.... now he is laughing at me.... lol... good time and when I thought I had practiced and practiced some more and thought that I was good to go this deer has convinced me that no matter how much you practice you gotta get out there and practice some more.... Next time he won't be so lucky.... and I will have pictures to post also.... Oh and my 4 year old had a good time too.... He thought it was cool....

·
74,535 Posts
Ryan

Annette killed here first deer last night. Seven Point. Should be good weekend.

·
Registered
171 Posts
GOOD JOB.. HERE MISSOURI ALOT OF ACTIVITY, JUST WAITING FOR THE RIGHT TIME TO GET IN THAT RIGHT STAND...
AGAIN CONGRADULATIONS TO ALL WHO HAVE CONNECTED THIS SEASON...... POST PICS

·
Registered
150 Posts
Congrats to you on your first deer Im sure its the first of many to come.And good job to you to Dan for helping a guy get his start.Dan I still say if your ever wanting to hunt the missouri river bottoms just say so Ive got the place...again good job guys

·
74,535 Posts
Hey Ryan

Might want to check local newpaper tomorrow. I think you just might make the outdoor page. Being outdoor writer now has it advantages. Check the Phoneix tommorrow on outdoor page.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts