Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I connected for my first buck with my new bow :D, not a big deer but it was fun and I'll have some early season venison for the freezer! It's always fun to have some fresh venison when the family comes home to hunt the gun season.
As for the deer, it's a small 6 point. When I saw him coming I decided I wouldn't shoot unless he gave me a "can't miss" (I know there is really no such thing) shot. Well he did, came in almost to close and turned slightly quartering away within 10 yds of my stand. Very sharp down angle, arrow went in high in the chest and exited low behind the off leg, front lung was hit high, back lung was right through the middle. Broadhead I was using was the Magnus Buzzcut 100gr on a Carbon Express CX400, stuck in the ground about 3 inches after passing through. Lots of blood but it surprised me that the deer did travel about 150 yds., although it was only alive for a minute or 2 after the shot.
Not that the deer is anything to brag about but I'll try to get a picture and post it later today.:shade:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Any deer taken with a bow

is worth bragging about! Congratulations!!!:D

Jim

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congrats ....... nothing wrong with bragging about taking a deer with a bow!

·
Registered
663 Posts
six more points than my best bow kills

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
picture

Well I did get some pictures, unfortunately they turned out very blurry. Not a very big deer but it is meat for the freezer.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nice buck....and bow!

:teeth: Congrats on the buck!!! Nice bow by the way....I work at Gander, and we've sold a pile of them in my neck of the country. Hope it has lived up to your expectations!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Don't worry about the size.

To many people are to worried about size. I think it's a fine buck, and as long as you do to who cares. Plus, it will be some fine eatin'.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
congrats

I notice you keep saying its not a big deer, but you killed it w/ a bow! It takes a good hunter to do that, and there is nothing wrong w/ that deer. I have a deer that size that is often under my stand, and if he gives me the right shot, Im sure he will be hard to pass up. Great job, and congrats on a nice kill. Do ya have any more tags?

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Good job. Heres to ya. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks

Thanks for all the nice replies! I should say that this is not my first bucked ever with a bow, just my first with my new bow. I used to bow hunt a lot but with kids and work I had very little time to the point that last year I only made it out twice I think. This year to get a little more enthused I decided to treat myself to a new bow, I can say I am enjoying it more than I have for years. Oh and I do have more tags to fill, in MN you can buy the all season license and that gets you 3 tags, but only 1 can be a buck so now I am after a doe. BTW I have also very much enjoyed this site, I have learned a lot! Thanks to all. Time for one of these :darkbeer:

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Those really big deer have larger kill zones. Tell your buddies that you passed up the big one to show how accurate you are.:wink:

You should get some nice tender meals out of your first bow kill. Congratulations.:thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Congrats from me too! Nice buck, and he will be great eating to boot! :eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts