Archery Talk Forum banner

First deer after Bone Marrow Transplant!

991 19
After a year long ordeal, starting last November(ending hunting for me), when I was diagnosed with a rare bone marrow cancer I was finally diagnosed in remission last month and was told that I could start hunting again if I felt up to it. Well I didn't need much more than that to start getting my body back into some sort of shape to get back out in the woods.

Yesterday was opening day for my part of NJ here on base. I drew one of my favorite zones inside the fences here on Fort Dix(weekly Lottery draw for 15 acre and under lots). A little creek bed with a large stand of white oaks on a flat above the creek. Just after sunrise a pair of yearlings worked into my stand and started feeding on acorns. I waited about 5 mins looking around for mama to come in but with no luck. I think that someone might have gotten her at first light. So I picked out the biggest one and laid the smackdown on him. 15 yard shot and 75 yard recovery. Yes I said him. Once I got down rolled him over and what do you know button buck. Weighed in right at 50lbs.

Now for you guys out there that say you shouldn't shoot young deer we have a earn a buck program inside the fences and just about every doe in here this year seemed to have had triplets. So I did my part for managing our deer herd.

I said a prayer and thanked the Lord, that he would give me the oppurtunity to return to a normal life and offer me a chance to take one of his creatures for my table. We had tenderloins tonight for dinner and my family each took the time to give thanks again for my gift of life and the life of the animal we were about to receive.

Never put off doing something for yourself or your family if you can avoid it because you never know what will happen tomorrow!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
Looks like your were blessed with another chance at life!!!!!! The good Lord must have more for you to do. Just focus on Him and everything will fall in place. Congrats on the backstraps and your battle. Good luck in the USAF

· Super Moderator
20,486 Posts
Well, let me be the first to congratulate you! Way to fight my friend. My fiance battled cancer last year and she is in remission as well. God bless you and congrats on your first deer since your "birth day".

· Registered
36,987 Posts
Awsome news about your cancer , wishing you many years of being free from it & Congrats on the doe .

· Registered
1,391 Posts
There is nothing wrong with shooting small deer, easier to drag, more of a challenge to hit, and more tasty, congratulations to you and yours for many reasons!

· Registered
141 Posts
there is a god

im very happy for you and your family. i lost my best buddy and the best hunting teacher ever to the same stuff 11 months ago. still trying to make sense of it. i love you for beating it and dont even know you.
thanks for sharing.

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
were all absolutely tickled to death for ya bro. congrats on everything and keep up the good work! Thanks for serving our great country. :darkbeer:

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Congrats on a great deer! I'm so happy for you....not only to be able to get back out there, but great deer too. Hope this is only one of many more.
Thanks be to GOD!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.