Archery Talk Forum banner

First deer of the season (3rd deer ever with a bow)

2698 Views 58 Replies 48 Participants Last post by  OhWell
I was set up with my back to a creek looking over a oak flat (SW Georgia). The tree I set up my saddle in was up on a 6 ft rise and I climbed up about 15 feet, so 20 or so feet total height). I was set up around 3:30pm and didn't see a thing except squirrels until about 6:30pm when a small flock of turkeys came within 20 yards of my tree (no fall season here).

I was just losing shooting light when I heard a deer coming from my left and a big doe came into view right below me, walking quickly. I drew back and stopped her because she was moving too fast to make a good shot, especially with how dark it was getting (the first pic makes it look a lot lighter than it actually was), and shot her at 9 yards. Arrow stuck a foot into the ground, she ran 35 yards and piled up.

No blood at impact, hardly any blood until where she went down, but chest cavity was full of blood. Double lung just above the heart, broke a rib on entry and cut a rib and back of the offside elbow on exit.

Bowtech SR6, 62 pounds on performance mod, 29" draw, 450 grain VF TKO 300 spine arrow, stock 23 grain insert, 125 grain TOTA 1" solid

Plant Gesture Tree Grass Terrestrial plant

Road surface Grass Wood Twig Terrestrial plant

Wood Grass Road surface Plant Terrestrial plant

Bird Beak Flash photography Seabird Wing
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

· Registered
Reign 6, Reckoning 35, SS34, Hamskea, HHA, MBG, Tight Spot, Illumapin, Shrewd, Stan, Carter
2,297 Posts
Very nice! Was is a strong side shot? How did you stop her? Whistle? Critter squeak?

Reactions: AppolloX

· Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What lighted nock is that?
Amazon cheapo with a switch. Not Deepower, but don't remember the brand. Came in a pack with a few red, a few blue, and a few green. Work great, and fly just like my stock nocks.

· Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Very nice! Was is a strong side shot? How did you stop her? Whistle? Critter squeak?
Strong side shot just about perfect position (10 o'clock). Did a quiet "meh" bleat with my mouth. At first I didn't think she was going to stop cause she was moving fairly fast.

Reactions: BTJunkie

· Born yank raised south
17,844 Posts
Congrats brother.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mossy-Back

· Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Congrats! Is that a QAD Exodus head?
Tooth of the Arrow, 1" four blade, non-vented

Did the job, but holes didn't seem any better than the Exodus (shot two deer with them last year).

21 - 40 of 59 Posts