Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well lets get right to it. I headed out at around 4pm to move my whitetail stand to a new spot that iv been seeing a nice buck in to hunt in the morning. when i got my climber on the tree and got up there i had a small buck and two does come by at 30yrds. so having my bow with me i thought id sit awhile and see if that nice buck would show up. i was sitting in a small wooded area with a creek running through under my stand with two open grass fields on both sides of it. after sitting for an hour or so i had another doe walk rite under me. not a minute after she passed by i thought i heard a bugle off in the distance but convinced myself i was making thing up in my head. after a half hour of making up bugles and cow talk in my head i looked out in the field to my south and saw a couple cows. this took me by suprize because i was hunting in a whitetail area with no elk sign in it when i scouted it. after sitting there four a couple minutes thinking if i wanted to try to get down and try to take one of the cows i told myself its only the second day of season and they were not going to walk by me and putting a stalk on them through grass not even half way up my shin would never work. i just sat there and watched them for a while as more and more cows came out. thats when i saw him out of the corner of my eye it was a bull not a big bull but still a legal bull. it took it awhile to regester that i acualy saw a shooter bull. after it sank in i knew i wanted to try to take that bull. not knowing what to do or how to do it i got down out of my stand and slowly made my way to the field edge and ranged him at 140yrds. there was a clump of grass about waste high about 70yrds from him so i desided to try to crawl to it and not get busted by the twenty or more cows out there. very slowly i made it to that tall grass and got on my knees to range him he was 60yrds and looking like he may come closer. i got back on my hands and knees to watch and see what he was going to do, and the worst thing happend he saw me getting back down. i htought for sure this was the end and he was gone. to my suprize he started walking rite to me to find out what i was. i layed the not moving a muscle as he closed the distance to 10yrds tops. knowing i could never stand up to my knees draw and shoot without him making it to idaho before i released the fullmetal jacket with a 100 grane slicktrick. after staring me down for what felt like a lifetime he turned to run thats when i made my move got to my knees with my bow at full draw and let out a cow call and he stoped broadside at 50yrds i put my 50 pin behinde the shoulder and let her fly. i wish this was the end and im sure you do too, but as my arrow made its way to him he started walking again and i watched my arrow hit him in the hind quarters. just about in tears because i shot at my first bull and made a bad shot. i hate wounding an animal so i crawled on my hands and knees as fast as i could while cow calling. as i got to the top of the small hill they ran over i looked and seen they had all stoped at the edge of the feild and my bull was standing there to. i watched as he layed down. so i made my move again crawling slowly through the grass on my belly. i got to about 30yrds and stood up so did he. he was hurting thats for sure because as the cow started to leave he couldnt walk very good let alone run. the cows stopped in the tree line and were making some kind of grunting noise as i drew back. he was quartering away pretty good so i put my pin behind his ribs and let my second arrow go. the arrow disapered into his body cavitey. i let out more cow calls as he slowly walked into the pines. i fallowed him as he went to go down the rige and pilled up. i was the happiest guy on the mountain. i went from mad at myself for making a bad shot to jumping for joy.

sorry for the long story but its my first elk and i havent found a way to tell a short version yet. maybe after time i will but rite know im still floating on cloud 9!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys but i still have a week and a half of vaca guess ill just have to try and fill my whitetail and bear tag. man lifes tough

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Wow - great story. It goes to show that in many parts of the country (Montana, Colorado, Idaho, etc) you never know where some elk are just going show up out of nowhere.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
That's an awesome story! Great job closing the deal. Congrats!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great job Mike! Especially keeping your composure when the situation turned grim. You don't know how happy I am that you got your bull. Contrats again! Wish I coulda been there. I will be next year!!

·
RJ
3,303 Posts
Nothing wrong with that bull! Nice job and way to stay with the hunt to harvest your trophy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks everyone!! and glen me too, but im going out after bear tomarrow to a place a want to scout for you guys next year!! cant wait man!!!! oh by the way i put a stalk and called for a buddy last nite but he didnt get a shot. but the good news is so far my bad calling hasnt scared elk away yet!!! lol

·
Registered
629 Posts
Nice job! You don't know how many people there are out there that would've given up when in that situation. Way to stick with it and get your bull! Stuff like elk taking steps happen! Heck they take one step and they've moved 5 feet! Once again congratulations and way to make us all proud by following up that first shot!!!

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Congrats! :darkbeer:

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Congratulations!!!!!

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
congrats glad you got him