Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday morning i had a shot on my target buck beautiful 10pt anywhere this buck is big but especially by me in the pine barrens you dont often see deer like this so my lockon is at about 24/25 ft unfortunately the deer was at 13yds i was waiting for him to step out a little further i prefer 20-25yds but another buck was walking in and by his body language and noise he made at this other buck he was going to take off at him so i decided id shoot shot placement was perfect ...hardly any blood...ive put alot of time in these woods so i kind of know the areas the buck likes to bed over here so over the last 2 days ive been searching...this morning i found him the arrow is right behind the shoulder about 4" sticking out and the rest buried inside you wouldnt of thought this deer had an arrow in Him by how fast he took off...for 2 hrs i tried to move in on this deer and each time was unsuccessful "twice"...so i decided to back out what would you guys do...im guessing the mechanical didn't open because i cant see if it did open how this deer would still be Alive

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
How high right behind the shoulder. Hard to say but if it was through the lungs a field point would kill him eventually. My guess is that broadhead failure is not the problem. Any chance the hit is not exactly where you think? Not trying to be a smart ***, and I hope you get him.

·
Registered
653 Posts
25' up and 13 yards out is a pretty sharp angle. We're you able to see where the arrow actually entered when you saw him?

No blood trail could be because of a high entry and no exit.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Yep sounds like a high entry with little penetration. Not a broadhead problem.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I’ve seen deer live on one lung. I’ve seen deer live with arrows between ribs and shoulder.
YouTube has deer living with horrible wounds.
My best velvet buck may live to today with a shwacker 8” in his brisket.

Weird stuff happens with deer.

The only true way to insure they die is poke out both lungs and or heart. Guts work but good luck finding them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
10,767 Posts
The very reason i would rather have a 1" exit hole than a 2" entrance hole. Plus a fixed blade would still be cutting every time he moved. How far has he traveled since shot ? How far did he travel after you jumped him? Did he bed back down and you know where he is? Your best option may well be to jump him and make him run trying to do more internal damage as he runs. If only there were an exit hole.

·
Registered
343 Posts
So based on your story, how is this lining up with the "issue" of a Rage hypodermic? Until the buck is recovered, any "issue" with the Rage is pure speculation. I'm not a Rage user or defender, I would just say don't be so quick to blame the broadhead when there isn't a way of confirming what actually happened.

·
Registered
Hoyt Hyper Force Hoyt CRX 32. Trophy ridge Easton FMJs
829 Posts
I had a deer leave and never found but I know that I hit the scapula and still had fair penetration and blood I watched the deer run for 200 yards with the white feathers sticking out and looked with no luck
Hope you find yours

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,441 Posts
Unreal, kinda jumping the gun a bit early on blaming the broadhead......again.

Go find your deer in the morning.

·
Hunter of many things
12,155 Posts
You wont know until you find him, if you do. If your shot was good and hit both lung or cut a major artery he would be dead, so your arrow must be off a bit. If you found him and were able to sneak up on him then you know he is hurting. Back out and go find him. Fwiw if you didnt get an exit hole then you dont have enough arrow weight and or your rage was an issue. Many people kill deer with rage, me myself dont care for them. I prefer thick strong once pc fixed heads because they are rarely rarely ever to blame. Good luck hope you find him.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,789 Posts
Yep sounds like a high entry with little penetration. Not a broadhead problem.
Well yes and no. I HATE to blame the broad head especially on a deer that you never recover because you really don't know exactly what happened until you skin the deer and see.

But that said this is exactly why many of us don't shoot expandable heads. We aren't willing to take the risk of what "might" have happened to the OP. If you hit a large bone like say an upper shoulder for example and you shoot a larger mechanical head many folks will have massive penetration loss. Another head can be a HUGE advantage then.

I lost a buck just like this as well. I take & took the shot all the time......it's how I hunt. I had a buck really close and shot it with the same bow, same arrow same draw weight etc and instead of the arrow sticking in the ground it was sticking mostly out of his back as he ran off. I found most of the arrow with no blood and about 4 inches of it missing. Never found the buck. I have taken a LOT of deer just like that and still do today with no penetration issues what so ever so there is no doubt in my mind that different heads offer different pros & cons...….that is exactly why they make them. People thinking they are the same is the problem...…..having the understand of the differences and how they apply to your setup is the key.

In total fairness a Rage "in the cage" is also hard to beat IF you get them in the cage...…...unfortunately large bones have a tendency to keep them form going there if they have to pass through them first. There is no doubt this may be the results of a poor shot or maybe just the wrong shot for the tackle he chose.....we won't know unless he finds it.

But there are things here you cannot deny. 1 any large mechanical will shine on ribs & soft tissue vital hits but they do not penetrate bone as well......you need a lot more energy to pull that off. Many don't have it.

2 the right fixed head will penetrate bone better but is less forgiving to shoot and more susceptible to tuning errors.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Well yes and no. I HATE to blame the broad head especially on a deer that you never recover because you really don't know exactly what happened until you skin the deer and see.

But that said this is exactly why many of us don't shoot expandable heads. We aren't willing to take the risk of what "might" have happened to the OP. If you hit a large bone like say an upper shoulder for example and you shoot a larger mechanical head many folks will have massive penetration loss. Another head can be a HUGE advantage then.

I lost a buck just like this as well. I take & took the shot all the time......it's how I hunt. I had a buck really close and shot it with the same bow, same arrow same draw weight etc and instead of the arrow sticking in the ground it was sticking mostly out of his back as he ran off. I found most of the arrow with no blood and about 4 inches of it missing. Never found the buck. I have taken a LOT of deer just like that and still do today with no penetration issues what so ever so there is no doubt in my mind that different heads offer different pros & cons...….that is exactly why they make them. People thinking they are the same is the problem...…..having the understand of the differences and how they apply to your setup is the key.

In total fairness a Rage "in the cage" is also hard to beat IF you get them in the cage...…...unfortunately large bones have a tendency to keep them form going there if they have to pass through them first. There is no doubt this may be the results of a poor shot or maybe just the wrong shot for the tackle he chose.....we won't know unless he finds it.

But there are things here you cannot deny. 1 any large mechanical will shine on ribs & soft tissue vital hits but they do not penetrate bone as well......you need a lot more energy to pull that off. Many don't have it.

2 the right fixed head will penetrate bone better but is less forgiving to shoot and more susceptible to tuning errors.
Yea I agree they won’t penetrate “as well” as some others. But your a small cut on contact fixed head likely isn’t going to pass through or be much different when you’ve hit a spot that allows only 4” of penetration even with a mechanical. I’ve broke leg bones of many 300lb deer with a 2” trypan at 280fps and 417 grains. I’ve also watched a few run off with a tiny 2 blade buzz cut fixed head with almost no penetration bc the shot was at 8 yards. If you can set up a rage properly with the collar and shoot it into any object like a hide or target and get it NOT to open I’ll give you my truck. Won’t happen. They open 100% of the time when no user induced error has occurred. I understand not opening wasn’t your argument that’s more directed at this thread itself being that the OP thinks it may not have opened

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts
If the shot was good he would be dead by now, So don't blame the heads for a probable 1 lung hit or until you find him dead.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
I'm nicer than I appear
8,041 Posts
These stories about broadhead failures are exactly why I would never drive a Ford pickup.
I once shot an Elite until it caused my rangefinder battery to die. Forced me to get a new job.
I prefer turkey over brisket.

Just too risky...😝

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
Id blame the deer for being to close to you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive killed many deer with these broadheads...im shooting a 445 grain arrow with 13% foc at 260fps...i seen the arrow in him it doesnt make sense its only speculation but im guessing it deflected off a rip and didnt penetrate vitals we habe a nasty storm that rolled through late last night 30mph winds with thunderstorms its about to lighten up for a few hours so im waiting to go back in my arrows are 27" tip to nock and there was only 4-5" max sticking out this is a bad illustration but its what i seen so the attqched pictured shows where the arrow was

Attachments

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Ive killed many deer with these broadheads...im shooting a 445 grain arrow with 13% foc at 260fps...i seen the arrow in him it doesnt make sense its only speculation but im guessing it deflected off a rip and didnt penetrate vitals we habe a nasty storm that rolled through late last night 30mph winds with thunderstorms its about to lighten up for a few hours so im waiting to go back in my arrows are 27" tip to nock and there was only 4-5" max sticking out this is a bad illustration but its what i seen so the attqched pictured shows where the arrow was
Your broad head didn't deflect nor fail to open. It lodged in his armpit where the rib cage narrows to accommodate his shoulders. The deer isn't suffering because your broad head failed. You were presented a shot you admittedly were uncomfortable with, knowing he needed a few more steps, and released the arrow anyway.

There's a time & place to discuss broad heads, but this scenario isn't it. The only thing that failed here was the human. You obviously set up in a good spot and got very close to some impressive bucks. That takes hunting skill. And your hunter's intuition was spot on. You knew not to take the shot. I've been there and done that. I know the sense urgency to capitalize on a hard earned opportunity before it's gone. And I learned the hard way to trust my intuition when it says "not yet". I'm guessing you have now, too. Own it and let the horrible experience make you a better hunter.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The very reason i would rather have a 1" exit hole than a 2" entrance hole. Plus a fixed blade would still be cutting every time he moved. How far has he traveled since shot ? How far did he travel after you jumped him? Did he bed back down and you know where he is? Your best option may well be to jump him and make him run trying to do more internal damage as he runs. If only there were an exit hole.
No way to know if a fixed would have gave you an exit hole as we have no way to know where he hit it.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts