Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I shot my first field round ever in the WI State shoot. First off, it was cool to meet a few AT members and watching some of the top compound shooters. I was the sole member in the Trad class. I shot with a couple friends who both are stringwalking recurve shooters.

I had a couple of goals coming into the shoot for scores. I wanted to average 16 per target (448/560) on the field and hunter which would put me very close to the US national records. I didn't quite achieve that. I finished with a 408 field and 409 hunter. I think that was very respectable for a first outing.

Animal round I had the goal of hitting 18+ per target. Happily, I did better than that. I shot a 267 on 14 animal targets which put me at 19+. I've been shooting a lot of 3D and the animal targets felt very familiar.

I learned a few things. Spots and 3D are a bit different, for me at least. I think next time I do field I'm going to practice on spots only. Second, don't mess with retuning. Shooting no sights, instinctive/ gap, requires a lot of familiarity with equipment. I tweaked my setup for better flight and lost 10 yards from my point on. Really screwed up my holds and I had a bunch of low shots because I shot off my old holds. Lesson learned.

All in all, I'm going to pursue more time in field shooting. I had a lot of fun and really enjoyed the challenge as an archer. :teeth:

Chris

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
congrats to the new 'converts' :darkbeer:

standard questions from me..........how long did it take ya and comparing what you experienced to what you were told, what were the fairy tales?

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
man you new field shooters are popping up all over the place:D

and welcome to ARCHERY :wink:

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
pass on the bug and hopefully the clubs will start growing too.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shoot went pretty smooth and quick. Full field round + half animal round was maybe 6 hours. Hunter round took around 4 hours. The only backups we ran into were at the longer shots and walkups.

I didn't really have any pre-conceived notions about field. I have had fellow trad guys who told me about the evil 80 yard walkup. My biggest problem on the longer stuff was due to my own stupidity by changing my setup a couple days before the shoot. I was familiar with how my bow shot than I changed it and lost distance on my holds. I went into it having to figure out my holds on the fly for the longer targets.

I know equipment doesn't make an archer but I can see a few things I could change to make for a better field rig. A heavier riser would be a good thing, a plunger/rest combo would be a bit more forgiving than my FlipperRest, and better arrows. I was shooting the Terminator Selects with Blazers. Good enough for 3D/ hunting but I think a smaller diameter arrow with better tolerances would be an advantage on the longer shots. Right?

Chris

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually the guy in red was one of my friends who stringwalks. I was wearing the black/white shirt with the black recurve.

Any more field shoots coming up in Wisconsin soon?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts