Archery Talk Forum banner

First hunting trip with Daddy.

601 19
I took my 7 year old son deer hunting with me for the first time on Sat morning. My first goal was to make sure that he had fun. We too his video game with us. I did make sure that it didn't make any noise. We also took tha BB gun so that he could shoot at things if it was slow. My only other goal was to let him see a deer. Well we got more than that.

We climbed in to my Double Bull Blind well befor daylight. At a little after 7am the first deer arrived. It was a doe and a yearling. They milled around for a while. Finaly the doe presented me with a 35yrd shot. In all of the excitement of getting to shoot a deer with Austin (my son) with me I forgot to compensate that she may jump the string. Well guess what? Yep, and he laughed at me. At around 7:45 another doe presented me with the exact same shot. In the same shooting lane and everything. This time there was no laughing. It was a perfect double lung shot. Austin got to see the whole thing. He even got to se her go down. From where I was sitting in the blind I couldent see her. She had gone behind some cedar trees. I told him we should give her some time and then we would start to look for her. When I sat back in my chair to wait I could see a white belly laying behind the cedar trees. I pointed in that direction and asked him what that was. This is the best part. He said "Looks like backstraps and summer sausage". This has to be the best day in the woods so far for me. He was great. Like he had been there 100 times before. He is already ready to go again. Thanks for letting me tell this story. I'm a VERRY proud Daddy.

Thanks Chad
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
299 Posts
That is perfect

· Registered
633 Posts
That's awesome. I just picked up an Ameristep blind to take my 5 yr. old with me. I can't wait. Congrats on the doe.

· Registered
759 Posts
nice!! My kids are 5-3, in a couple years my daughter will start hunting. She already says " Daddy's going to go shoot deer." Yeah, as if i have gotten a shot off yet, but thats another story. i love her eternal optimism.

Scott

· Classifieds Administrator
39,607 Posts
Awesome story, congratulations. Can't wait to take my little girls with me in the future.

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Awesome

I just found out that I am going to be a dad a couple of weeks ago.

This is exactly what I am waiting for! :darkbeer::darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.