Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting a jake for my first spring bird last week, I managed a long 6 yard shot on this 22 lber yesterday morning at 7 here in MO. There were 3 birds using the same area that I worked on for the previous two mornings, but each time we just weren't in the spot we needed to be to close the deal. The blind was moved at 1:00 on Sunday to be ready for Monday morning. When we got in there Monday, we found the blind had blown away during an evening storm! Luckily we were early enough that we pulled it out of a grown up fence row without spooking the 3 nearby gobblers. Just as we climbed into the reset blind the first one gobbled 80 yds across the pasture. After going quiet at flydown I just trusted the fact that all 3 answered and new where we were. Just before 7, Eric (my cameraman) peeked out a closed corner window to see the top of a fan coming our way 75 yards or so out. He strutted, then ran, then strutted, then ran right into our decoys. I tried to hold out for some good close footage, but one circle around the dekes was all I could handle!!! A perfect shot anchored him for a few seconds, but he managed to get down the hill 40 yards before giving up. This bird was my 8th kill for my new Judge in less than 30 days! There are a few birds behind my house and I owe Eric a hunt of his own. After that...looking at heading to KS in 2 weeks for the tail end of their turkey season.

Attachments

·
Speed Thrills and Kills
4,690 Posts
man you are having much better luck than all of us are...we spent 4 days at truman lake hunting and didnt bring a bird home and there was 3 of us

·
Registered
791 Posts
Congrats on a VERY productive season!!!!

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice!
I'm guessing your really happy with that new bow!
Definitely my all time favorite bow! I didn't think my GT500 could be beat...but this Judge just feels perfect and the arrows seem to find their way to where they are supposed to go.

·
Registered
23,633 Posts
Big Bird!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Congrats! Awesome bird and story!

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
congrats man