Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With this being my first post, I would like to say hello to all you in Archery Talk! I have been browsing this site quite some time, trying to soak up as much information as possible. I am currently in the market to buy a new bow, and I am now turning to you all for some advice and help. The main purpose for this bow will be hunting and target shooting, but now I am open to eventually trying out 3D shoots as well.

I somehow lost my original post (which was much longer) so I'll try again keeping this one a bit more brief.

Basically I am stuck in choosing which bow to buy. The first bow I was introduced to was the Hoyt Turbohawk. Being new to archery I didn't know much about anything, so that was the one I started saving up for. Talking with some bowhunting friends I found out about the diffrence between aluminum machined risers and cast magnesium risers. So I kept looking keeping my options open.

Over the past couple of months I have been to 3 different stores, trying out the Reezen, Katera, Alphamax, and Hyperlite. At first I threw the Turbohawk out the window after shooting the latter menchened bows, but now being more educated on bows, found part of the reason why. The 4 other bows I shot were all decked out with string stops/suppressors, stabalizers, etc while the Turbohawk I shot was a bare bow. After doing some research I found out that you can put a string stop on the Turbohawk as well, which brings it back into the equation.

Sorry again for the long post, but I am trying to make as much of an informed and educated decision on making my purchase, so I would appreciate your all's input.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Dont throw out the turbohawk. I havent shot one, but have heard nothing but good things about it. As far as the cast vs. alum, I dont think it will become a problem. I would start cataloging what you like and dont like, single cam, dual cam, longer or shorter axle to axle, grip, etc., etc. Try to shoot every bow you can! Good luck and welcome to AT!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
You come to the right place !

:welcome:and glad that with your first post you are looking for advice !:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I havent totally thrown it out the window. I think the Reezen and Alphamax are a bit out of my price range if I were to buy tomorrow, but I guess I can always save. The Katera sells for 650 around here, with the Turbohawk around 550, then minus 50 more after mail in rebate. With that extra 150 I could almost get a nice sight and rest. Just not too sure yet.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Let us know what you end up with. I you get the chance, try out a couple of other manufacturers as well. Its my opinion that all the major bow companies are producing great bows, its just a matter of what one feels best to you.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Welcome to AT.

Like others have said,......my advise is to go to a shop/shops that carries MANY different brands and shoot as many as possible. Even shoot the ones that some of your buddies did not recommend. They may not have liked a certain bow, but it might be the best one for YOU.

Keep an open mind and see which one feels like it was made for you.

Have fun.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Let us know what you end up with. I you get the chance, try out a couple of other manufacturers as well. Its my opinion that all the major bow companies are producing great bows, its just a matter of what one feels best to you.
Being in the market for a bow, im taking this advice. I would put the Bowtech Guardian on that list. Its on my short list for sure.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
:welcome: 2 ArcheryTalk

Shoot as many as you can , one will feel good to you .. the TurboHawk is a good bow no doubt ..

·
Registered
176 Posts
i went for the turbohawk over the alphamax. i couldnt tell that much different in the to bows other then the price tag. i also was lokking at elites, there very nice bows check them out. i now afer i shot bowtech and elite i liked the elite much better. i know it was going to be a hard pick, but i love my turbohawk. but i like elites and will own 1 this spring/summer. shot all kinds what i like you may not. happy hunting lets know what you pick

·
Registered
168 Posts
With this being my first post, I would like to say hello to all you in Archery Talk! I have been browsing this site quite some time, trying to soak up as much information as possible. I am currently in the market to buy a new bow, and I am now turning to you all for some advice and help. The main purpose for this bow will be hunting and target shooting, but now I am open to eventually trying out 3D shoots as well.

I somehow lost my original post (which was much longer) so I'll try again keeping this one a bit more brief.

Basically I am stuck in choosing which bow to buy. The first bow I was introduced to was the Hoyt Turbohawk. Being new to archery I didn't know much about anything, so that was the one I started saving up for. Talking with some bowhunting friends I found out about the diffrence between aluminum machined risers and cast magnesium risers. So I kept looking keeping my options open.

Over the past couple of months I have been to 3 different stores, trying out the Reezen, Katera, Alphamax, and Hyperlite. At first I threw the Turbohawk out the window after shooting the latter menchened bows, but now being more educated on bows, found part of the reason why. The 4 other bows I shot were all decked out with string stops/suppressors, stabalizers, etc while the Turbohawk I shot was a bare bow. After doing some research I found out that you can put a string stop on the Turbohawk as well, which brings it back into the equation.

Sorry again for the long post, but I am trying to make as much of an informed and educated decision on making my purchase, so I would appreciate your all's input.
cast magnesium risers. is not correct they did this back in the day but not anymore it is just a cast aluminum riser and some people think that it is stronger because a machined is heated and cast isnt. Wait till the 2010 lines comes out.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I am not a fan of cast magnessium risers. After my uncle had one break in half completely at full draw, do not like them. One air bubble in the riser will make it have a weak spot, while this is not common I do not think I would take my chance. There are alot of nice bows out there and as far as choosing one I know you do not want to hear this but it is whichever felt good, shot the best for you etc. If you think you could do better that you did with those bows than keep looking around. PSE, Pearson, Fred Bear, Alpine all make good bows besides the companies you have already seen and I hope you enjoy whatever it is you choose.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Go with whatever has a good brace height and a decent axle-to-axle. You don't have to have the fastest bow out there either. Just make sure it is comfortable to you. Make sure the shop measures you for a proper draw length. If it is wrong it can lead to a million problems that could have been fixed with the proper draw. You don't need to buy something really expensive if it takes away from being able to buy quality accessories.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts