Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I never have owned a scope setup. Need help picking everything out. Where do I start? Was considering a Davis dovetail. What else should I consider and where do I go from here. I'm no pro so I don't need the highest end product. I can upgrade as I improve. Help would be great.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
It can be daunting for sure. Many options. What will you use it for? Indoor spots or outdoor 3D?

Just general things.
Outdoors a lot of people like to use no more than a 4X/power (but it depends on your eyesight) as any more than that and you will need a clarifier as the sight picture will get a bit blurry. And most like a pin with it of some sorts. Rather it come down from the top or go up from the bottom.

Inddors you can go up some on the power as most use a clarifier as you will only be shooting one distance. Just don't go too big as it will also magnify your movement. Most of these guys use a dot, a dot and circle or just a circle on their lens to help aim.

A very nice scope and not very expensive is the Viper scope. It is clear, and very rugged

·
Registered
438 Posts
So what, FITA compound, I shoot a 4x scope with a small red dot in the middle of the lens. The 4x allows me to shoot 90m comfortably.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The AXCEL AX31 (31mm diameter) or AX41 (41mm) make for a very good choice. Some features are listed below:

They are light weight, and the scope housing is venturi (hourglass) shaped, so if viewed even slightly off center there is no tunnel vision. There is an engraved ring around the outside that is at the depth of the pin, and inside the housing, there are red ring torque indicators. The ring pin can be place in one of 8 detents around the circle. The fiber is wrapped multiple times around for extreme brightness, and when it is in the housing the fiber lines up with slits in the side of the scope housing that allow for the fiber to gather even more light.

These scopes have different options for connection. The scope has a YCS (Yoke connection system) which allows for two points of connection from the scope housing for more security and easy leveling, works directly with the AXCEL AX Series Sights and AXCEL Achieve Sights. The yoke can be placed directly into our 2nd/3rd axis removable block so it can be interchanged easily and still be level if moving from one bow to another, etc. And, at the end of the yoke, there is an ability for a light to be screwed in to add more brightness if desired.
The other connection, the SCR (Stainless Steel Threaded Rod) will work with other sights too. The yoke can always be added later if one decided to upgrade to an AXCEL sight.

Pin sizes available are .019 and .010, and the fiber color is Green, Red, or Yellow.

Here is the website for more information: www.axcelsights.com

Hope you find what you are looking for- best of luck!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the great input everyone. I am really thankful for all the replies. After purchasing the hoyt I became very overwhelmed but that feeling is going away now. Since we covered scopes, what sights do you guys use. I heard of people enjoying the Davis sights. What else do you guys shoot?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts