Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after hearing how well Reo and Kevin Wilkey have been shooting the new Contender Elite bow from Hoyt I just had to get mine rolling and really to get some shooting under my belt!!

After a few weeks of watching the bow set in the case and myself not able to shoot because of work and hunting season. I finally got time to go shoot!! I pulled the bow out of the case, put my b-stinger stabs on it and started up to the range.

I started with some shots at a blank bail to just get the feel of the bow and get the old muscles warmed up. Then shot a few at an old target just to get sighted in. After sighting the black beast in, I put up a new target and decided to shoot a Vegas Round...

I shot a practice end and did a few sight adjustments and then started right into the round. After the first few ends I really started to notice how well the bow held.. I expected for as little that I have been shooting the sight would be all over the target but...this bow really held and aimed well... I missed my first arrow in the thrid end just a little high. I shot two more ends to a half and took a little break.. Well, I guess I should'nt have took the little break because I missed another in the sixth end. I stayed clean the rest of the way to end up with a 300 28X.

After finishing a round with this monster I'm sure that Hoyt has really set the bar high above any other bow out there right now. This bow looks great, feels great and shoots flat, out right awsome!!! I am truley convinced that there will be plenty more shoots this year being swept by the big red crew!

My bow set up was:
Hoyt Contender Elite XT 3000 Limbs with spiral x cams
27.5 inch draw and set at 59lbs
Bow ata is 40 15/16 and peep heigth is 5 5/16
Shooting CBE sight with apex scope and frosted dy optics lens
Brite Site "Jesse Rest"
B-Stinger Stabilizers and v-bar bracket
Arrows Easton 2712's
Shooting the Scott Black Hole release

All in All, I will be shooting the Contender Elite this year for sure!!!

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Shane, how much better is the Contender then the Vantage? Or is it all personal preference? The reason I ask is I cannot afford a new bow this year and I love my Vantage! It is the best bow I have ever shot by far. I still really want to try a Contender just for fun and to see how good it really is. By the way I really apprciate yourself and Jesse taking 15 minutes of your time IN THE RAIN at Redding this year to talk to me and my buddy Chris--you two are top notch guys and I look forward to seeing both of you out on the tournament trail this year!

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Good gracious.....good shooting buddy.

Thanks for the review also :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
im not as an accomplished shooter as yall but im workin on it,just getting on with mine,i shot a 296 with 20 x's last night and im really liking this bow!it holds awesome and seems to be more forgiving than my pe.im shooting mine with 2000 limbs and cam an a half plus cams at 52 lbs.i have a set of the 3000 limbs on order to give them a spin,either way its gonna be a shooter no doubt-mike

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Great shooting Shane, guess I'm gonna have to give ya a "bump" on the line at LAS!! I also see Mike hooked ya up with a Jesse bar, or did Jesse give ya one??!! Good Luck in Iowa. I'm staying home, so I'll hope to run into ya at Lancaster. To bad Cumberland is 2 1/2hrs. away, otherwise I'd be down for a lesson or 2!!

Bob Reedinger

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob it would be nice if you did live a little closer so I could have someone to shoot with... Jesse moved away and Mike Cogar also moved away so I have to do it all alone now...lol Yes Mike did hook me up with a "Jesse: bar... Im trying to get some off of him without Jesses name on them tho...lol jk

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I know what ya mean by shooting alone. I do it almost all the time, but I think I finally got dad set back up to shoot inside. He actually shot with me last night, his first indoor score in about 2 years. His shoulder still bothers him, and it gets worse after the break, but he tuffed it out, and shot a respectable score for the first time in a long time. Maybe Mike can make a "Shane" or "Shooter" bar...LOL.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob I just wish that Broadwater boy would move a little closer so we could shoot some together! I talked to him last evening and he is really liking his Contender Elite also. I hope to see you down at the hillbilly again this year... I should have a new baby by then :zip:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
CONGRATS!! Mrs. Shooter will have you feeding between line chages inside and burping between targets outside..HAHA!! Maybe that Broadwater boy should move a little closer to me so I can learn a thing or two!! Hope to make the hillbilly, but our state target is that weekend, so I'm not sure which one I'll be going to. All depends how indoors go, and how my outdoor game is at the time. Hope to do some NAA events, so the target round may be better for me, but dad prefers field and he had a great time last year, especially in the Hinky shoot. Next year we're going for the jug handle!!

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
we have a guy at the club terry his contender elite is coming soon he was told it shipped .. I told him I wanna shoot it..I really thinking I want one but want to shoot it first..Bob you can always shoot with me.:confused2: talk to ya later...

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Heck, I'll shoot with anybody. I'm not to sure on the CE yet. I'm really liking my VE, and once I get my PE built, I'm hoping that thing shoot. I've actullay shot better scores with a shorter A/A bow. Joe, if you don't shoot state target, ya gotta go to the hillbilly shoot in Cumberland, MD. They put on a great shoot, with lots of great people, and the Hinky Shoot is da bomb, and it's even better when ya make it past 35YDS. I wanted to shoot the jug handle(puts you back at 80YDS right away), but for some reason, TheShooter said "NO WAY"!!...LOL. Just sucks it's a different weekend next year, but dad and I may go just for a good time. Maybe Shane will let us shoot with him next year, and maybe his little buddy will show up also??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts