Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been into archery now for about 13 months. I'm on my third bow and my 6th sight (first 5 were in the $75-$150 range). The Spot Hogg Grinder 5-Pin Micro is by far the biggest component upgrade I've made. I was hesitant on spending $240 on a new sight, but after reading all of the positive reviews and learning that SH offers a lifetime warranty I went ahead and bit the bullet. This thing is bright, HEAVY DUTY AF, and good looking. I also find the MRT has helping with my accuracy. I was lining my peep up with the bottom and right side of my sight housing which made for a pretty accurate shot, but being able to see that bright yellow ring in multiple sizes helps with consistent alignment.

Anyone else share a similar experience? Holding off on making a pricy upgrade and then wishing you'd done it from the get go?

This Spot Hogg sight and my Carter release are the two things I wish I had pulled the trigger on from the start.

IMG_2656.jpg

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
spot hoggs are the best imo. still use my boss hogg on my hunting bow

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spot hoggs are the best imo. still use my boss hogg on my hunting bow

Nice. I had an HHA Optimizer so where in the mix and wasn’t a fan of the single pin slider. I’m pretty interested in the double pin Spot Hogg’s though. I may grab one of those on my next venture.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i use a SPOT HOGG swap elite for my target bow. one body is setup for outdoor shooting arrows and the other body is setup for indoor shooting arrows. best rest IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
All my compounds carry Spott Hoggs. They're the best I've found.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
You will never need another sight unless you want to try a different style like a slider or a dovetail. Spot Hoggs are extremely durable and easy to use. Their multi pin head is easily the best in the industry imo.

I currently have the FE XL 3 pin and a Hogg It 5 pin. Great sights!

20200425_194714.jpg
20180830_180139.jpg

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good feedback. Confirms that the Hunter was money well spent.

Do you all prefer .19 or .10 pins? or a different diameter?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think that depends on the target distance you are likely to encounter. You will likely find .10 the most prevalent size pin out here in the west, due to the open country, and longer distances to targets.........

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I take some hunts in rough areas...In my early days i would go through a sight per hunt and would take a backup just in case until I got a Spott Hogg--had it for 20 years and many rough hunts...only malfunction was the level--and they fixed it and gave me a free upgrade as a thank you... First class company and products!! Best money you will ever spend!

I use the 7 pin... .10pins. Y G G Y G G Y color arrangement and I shoot off the wire and just use the pins as yardage markers against the wire. Deadly setup!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are you able to run both .19 and .10 pins in the same housing setup on the same bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Are you able to run both .19 and .10 pins in the same housing setup on the same bow?

Yes you can

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been into archery now for about 13 months. I'm on my third bow and my 6th sight (first 5 were in the $75-$150 range). The Spot Hogg Grinder 5-Pin Micro is by far the biggest component upgrade I've made. I was hesitant on spending $240 on a new sight, but after reading all of the positive reviews and learning that SH offers a lifetime warranty I went ahead and bit the bullet. This thing is bright, HEAVY DUTY AF, and good looking. I also find the MRT has helping with my accuracy. I was lining my peep up with the bottom and right side of my sight housing which made for a pretty accurate shot, but being able to see that bright yellow ring in multiple sizes helps with consistent alignment.

Anyone else share a similar experience? Holding off on making a pricy upgrade and then wishing you'd done it from the get go?

This Spot Hogg sight and my Carter release are the two things I wish I had pulled the trigger on from the start.

View attachment 7149089
Currently running a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL 3pin and it's lights out

·
Registered
19,216 Posts
I keep looking at the Tommy. You don’t see much written about that model.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
I liked the boss hogg better that tommy because of the wheel location. sits further back which still allows me to keep my quiver attached and easier adjustability hunting

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
I keep looking at the Tommy. You don’t see much written about that model.
The tommy has been my favorite hunting sight to date. I tend to lean toward dovetails for the ability to fine tune my peep to sight and get my peep alignment just right. But for a short, light moveable hunting sight the tommy is hard to beat. I'm going to run a 3 pin fast eddie xl this year just to change it up, but the tommy is really an awesome setup. I used mine with both the double pin and a 5 pin on different occasions. The shorter sight makes it feel very light, even though it is built super rugged. I love the micro adjust and the ability to run sight marks as well as sight tapes which you can't do on most hunting sights.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts